+ Reply to Thread

Default Repairing Cracked Concrete Slab Lip

Hello: my garage floor is concrete slab and the slab has a "lip" that extends out about 2 feet beyond the garage door where it meets the blacktop driveway. The lip section has long cracks and portions of the cracks have loosen - - if I remove the pieces, they leave a V shape cut-out at the cracks.
    Is there a repair/patching process for the cracks, like a giant version of repairing cracked dry wall using quikcrete or another material ?

I've seen an epoxy kit for repairing cracked basement walls but the cracks are covered with a material, then epoxy is injected through holes every 12" but the cover material leaves a "scar" on the wall.
    Thank you.

Default Re: Repairing Cracked Concrete Slab Lip

There are various topping materials available at the stores, but if the problem is out of control, you may have to replace the concrete.

Toppings and other thin repairs won't stick to an exposed surface for very long. You can just cut the concrete at the garage door line, jack hammer the old concrete out and pour new concrete.

Hey t_manero

Any luck on fixing your problem? I had a friend who had a similar problem but it was a minor issue. We found a good guide on lowes on how to repair concrete cracks. I hope this helps if not please let me know what you did to fix it. Good luck!

P.S I cant post links so go to lowes website then navigate to

Home>How-To Projects>Simple Concrete Repairs
    "Fixing Hidden Content one at a time."

-Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BaysideGarageDoors View Post
    Hey t_manero

Any luck on fixing your problem? I had a friend who had a similar problem but it was a minor issue. We found a good guide on lowes on how to repair concrete cracks. I hope this helps if not please let me know what you did to fix it. Good luck!
    I haven't attempted a fix yet. It looked like the previous owner patched it (smoothed over like a drywall repair), but either the patch didn't adhere, or there is still ground movement (or due to cars driven over the patch from entering/exiting the garage). The V shape cracks show some separation. Although the long term fix is to cut up & replace, I have too much outside & landscaping problems ($$ cha ching) to take this on. I will attempt a patch of some sort and see how long it will last as I address other issues.

I will check the Lowe's site; on Youtube, there are several commecial products for crack repair; the ads don't say a lot, but I suspect an effective product should have some sort of glue.
    I think expoxy is the strongest, which I've seen for crack basement block walls. Basement walls can come under tremendous hydronic pressure and I suppose cement slabs have settlement or earth movement pressure if not laid corectly, and those kinds of presure may overpower any glue that re-attach broken pieces.

Bottom line, for me at this time, a $150 fix that can potentially last 5-10 years is better than a 20-year fix at $2,000+ plus.

Smile Re: Repairing Cracked Concrete Slab Lip

"a $150 fix that can potentially last 5-10 years is better than a 20-year fix at $2,000+ plus."

I agree completely! It sounds like you have it figured out.
    "Fixing Hidden Content one at a time."

-Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BaysideGarageDoors View Post
    "a $150 fix that can potentially last 5-10 years is better than a 20-year fix at $2,000+ plus."

I agree completely! It sounds like you have it figured out.
    I agree too, except that:
    1. It won't cost $2,000 to replace the concrete lip.
    2. The patch won't last 5-10 years.
    3. The new lip, if done correctly, will last more than 20 years.

Let's say you have a 20' wide garage, so 20x2 = 40 sq ft. Demolish and replacement won't even be $300, even less if YDIY.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I agree too, except that:
    1. It won't cost $2,000 to replace the concrete lip.
    2. The patch won't last 5-10 years.
    3. The new lip, if done correctly, will last more than 20 years.

Let's say you have a 20' wide garage, so 20x2 = 40 sq ft. Demolish and replacement won't even be $300, even less if YDIY.
    I don't have actual proposals, but I really don't think it can be done at the "big job" rate. In NorCal, I did a 1,000 sf driveway at $10/sf (pavers actually, but told pavers is same or less than concrete, so did pavers).
    In No Virginia, Plumbing - $369 to change out 2 shutoff values at the clothes dryer; $180 for installed 1964 faucet stem & washer; $150 average for prunning a tree (15-45 minures no ladder), etc.