+ Reply to Thread

Post Kitchen sink noise

I bought an older home a couple months ago and the kitchen sink, when I dump about a gallon of water down the drain, it makes like a loud "Glump" noise about every second for about a minute, maybe a little less. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

Default Re: Kitchen sink noise

It sounds like it's not vented. If the drain is going through the floor under the sink chances are it's not vented.

John

Or, being that it's old, probably the pipe is somewhat clogged.

Try Drano overnight - you may have to do it a couple times.

Quote Originally Posted by daspyda View Post
    Or, being that it's old, probably the pipe is somewhat clogged.

Try Drano overnight - you may have to do it a couple times.
    Never use drain cleaners!! They don't work and they cause a hazard to any one that will eventually have to use a snake to clear the line.

John

Darno, and other similar products will eventually damage your pipes, listen to John, he has been there, done that.

Clean the trap by disassemble it, clean it manually and reassamble. But if you don't have a vent, you need to install one. And if you're not sure how, hire a plumber. Vent is the code.

Funny, but liquid drane cleaner has worked very well for my bathroom toilet. Only used sparingly - like when it starts to back up. There is no residue left on the PVC pipes, either, as it all flushes down.

If the clog is not in the trap, then the only solution is professional help? Really...

Quote Originally Posted by daspyda View Post
    Funny, but liquid drane cleaner has worked very well for my bathroom toilet. Only used sparingly - like when it starts to back up. There is no residue left on the PVC pipes, either, as it all flushes down.

If the clog is not in the trap, then the only solution is professional help? Really...
    What could you possibly have in your toilet that liquid drain cleaner can remove?

John

Its my understanding that Draino will dissolve the hair from a Barbie doll, but has little impact of a dinosaur.

There also can be a volitile chemical reaction when using Draino in a toilet if one also uses other in-the-bowl or in-the-tank type toilet cleaners. Read the label carefully.