+ Reply to Thread

Default Coloring Concrete not good?

Hi Everyone,
    We are looking to replace the existing concrete walkway we have in our house. We are interested in pouring new concrete and putting a color into it. We were advised by our contractor that adding color to concrete can weaken it and he does not recommend it.
    I have never seen that anywhere else and I was wondereing if he is just trying to sell us pavers and not wanting to do the conctrete work.
    Does anyone have any experience in pouring concrete with a color?
    Thanks.

Default Re: Coloring Concrete not good?

color for concrete is usually a powder additive, it doesn't change the characteristics of concrete available through many building supply stores. wouldn't guess why he said that unless he either never has done colored concrete (some are scared of doing something they never have done before and might not want to do any research to make sure its that simple) the biggest thing is making sure that your coloring amount that you add is consistent with each mix, so that the color is uniform for the complete walkway

Additionally, colorant may not be available depending on how the concrete is brought to the site. I've never seen colorants available for U-Cart concrete, but have seen grays and blacks available if purchasing from a concrete company (truck delivered ). If the concrete is mixed at your property, then adding colorant is no big deal.

Finally, it seems that adding colorant to the concrete mix is losing favor for "top seeding", where the concrete is placed then the colorant is added to the top. I have seen seen this method, though I cannot elaborate on how it's done, it is common practice.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JimLas View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    We are looking to replace the existing concrete walkway we have in our house. We are interested in pouring new concrete and putting a color into it. We were advised by our contractor that adding color to concrete can weaken it and he does not recommend it.
    Have you ever dye Easter Eggs?
    It is basically same principle.

Thanks.
    Yes, I did.
    The biggest issue is adding correct amount of powder to each concrete mix to get same color....exactly what Hanvanagrantie mention.

Would I do it again....Heck No.... too much headaches......it is just me....
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Wink Re: Coloring Concrete not good?

Quote Originally Posted by JimLas View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I have never seen that anywhere else and I was wondereing if he is just trying to sell us pavers and not wanting to do the conctrete work.
    Thanks.
    I've poured plenty of color in concrete and never heard of it weakening it. Check with your local concrete batch plant and ask them the question. The only issues with putting color in the concrete truck is that it colors the inside of the drum and sometimes the company charges a little more per yard to clean out the truck. The other issues are: you get complete color throughout the concrete (good thing). The finishers usually wear gloves to finish because it takes a while for the color to wear off if you get it on your skin. Maybe this is why your contractor doesn't want to use color! I would get some prices from a few different contractors. Adding the color to the concrete after it is poured is messy and uneven in color usually. Stick with having it added to the concrete truck mix. Good Luck. Calcats

Smile Re: Coloring Concrete not good?

Thank you to everyone who helped. I will certainly check with a few other contractors and I really appreciate the information.

Concrete coloring is done all the time...no it doesnt effect the durability of the concrete.

Truck mixed as stated will have best uniformity...but most more expensive than shaking it on. Colors will cost differently depending on the color. If I remember correctly, black is the cheapest...green the most expensive.

Go to your local Ready-Mix supplier..they will be a great source for color and/or a qualified contractor.

Vinnie