Thats A sweet POST.... HR..
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Default Re: Finishing Nails

Great post HoustonRemodeler!!

Back on topic, I used 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" 18 ga for the casing side of moldings and 2" to 2 1/2" for the wall sides based on the molding thickness. 16 ga is adequate for this kind of work but 15 ga is a bit better- use either. One thing to be aware of (that Grandpa didn't have to deal with) is that power nailers don't 'draw' the pieces together like hand nailing did. You have to push the moldings tight where you're nailing or you might leave an unwanted gap. Gentle work with a nail-set will usually pull those missed spots tight.

If you've got a 'Rolls-Royce' tool budget, go cordless. I used mine for almost everything and it was wonderful to not have that #&*$ hose to deal with anymore. The sharper folks here will notice my use of past-tense words. Yes, my friends, I am no longer in the business, I have driven my last nail on anger and I am finished. Sadly my body was wearing out too fast so I have found a career where it will last as long as I live. It was mostly my back but whatever- the trade I loved so much has been swapped out for a job doing secure courier work which a friend got the doors open to for me. There's little satisfaction in it compared to the life of a craftsman but I still have my tools and I plan to use them for myself enough to keep the rust chased away. With my lack of formal education and inability to carry on my trade, this was the best opportunity I can imagine happening for me and I'm making the best of it when the opportunity came. I'll still drop in sometimes but at this point my product knowledge here will come to an end regarding changes in the business and I'll be depending on you all for advice to keep me current.

I won't list all the names, but A.Spruce, HoustonRemodeler,JL McDaniel, Maurice Turgeon and some other regulars here have impressed the heck out of me and I will miss learning from you and applying it in my work. Continue on my friends, I'll drop by to see how the job is going when I can.

Phil
    Ex- Mastercarpenter

Default Re: Finishing Nails

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    I won't list all the names, but A.Spruce, HoustonRemodeler,JL McDaniel, Maurice Turgeon and some other regulars here have impressed the heck out of me and I will miss learning from you and applying it in my work. Continue on my friends, I'll drop by to see how the job is going when I can.

Phil
    Ex- Mastercarpenter
    ***, it's always nice to hear when you have an impact on your peers. Thanks for the shout-out.

You know, you don't have to be in the trades to still have something of value to offer. I've been out for 10 years now and still help out around here from time to time. Don't be a stranger.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!