+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Door problem

Default Door problem

We have been wanting to replace a side door. everyone that we have talk to so far does not want to touch it. Problem is that the door opens and to the left of the door is a pocket door going to the basement. It is impossible to put in the new door frame of a new door. The current door frame is not square. We think the previous owner put the door there so that they could get to the basement from outside, without going thought the house. Does anyone have any suggesting on how to correct the problem and put in a new door?

Default Re: Door problem

Buy a door, not a pre hung door. Any half way decant carpenter should be able to install the hinges and cut the door to fit.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I take it that the existing jamb is modified in some way to accommodate an adjacent pocket door, so that installing a new pre-hung exterior door is going to spoil the pocket door's function?
    Can you just install a slab and leave the jambs?
    If the door is a non-standard size, you're looking at a custom order, and more $$, but it may be the only solution short of relocating the basement pocket door.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

The pocket door was build in when the house was build. The out side door was put in years later. It is a standard door size 32x80. Relocating the pocket door is not possible. Thank you for your suggestions.

Really having trouble picturing this. Are the two doors perpendicular to each other (90)? If so, is the pocket door on the hinge side or lock side of the regular door and does the pocket door slide behind the regular door?

I will try to explain this this best I can. external door on the side of the house. walk in. door opens to the left. As you walk in the basement pocket door is right there to your right. The pocket door opens away from the external door. The lock side of the external door and the open latch to the pocket door are corner to corner.

Is it possible to replace the 32" door with a 30 or a 28? Would that give you enough room for a new jamb?

OK, I see now, but now I don't see why anyone would have a problem replacing the exterior door, pre-hung or slab. The pocket door should have no affect on the exterior door.