+ Reply to Thread

Threaded View

Default Partial replacement of t1-11 with Hardie?

Hi! Does anyone know if it's possible to replace individual panels of t1-11 (vertical) with Hardie Plank, but not replace all the siding on the house? I have damage to the t1-11 from an addition that was built onto the house and then removed. I can't really afford to replace all the siding on the house, but I don't know if it's possible to replace only the damaged panels, and then leave the t1-11 that's around it and is undamaged. Even if we replace whole sides of the house, what would we do about the corners, where the Hardie Plank side would meet the old t1-11 side? It would certainly be easier to use t1-11, but we don't think it will last and don't want to do this again in a few years.

Also, what about places where the t1-11 overlaps (there is a top layer on the upper part of the house that overlaps a bottom layer in a horizontal line about half way down the whole side and is nailed to it - top layer is undamaged, bottom layer needs to be replaced) - can we replace the bottom portion with Hardie and keep the top t1-11, or is that impossible?

Finally, we have old rough-sawn wood trim that we like, and don't know if it can be removed and put back on. Some contractors recommended putting new siding over the old siding in order to avoid messing with the trim, but that doesn't sound like a great idea.

Any opinions or advice would be helpful! Thank you!

tried to upload a pic, but it won't work....
    Last edited by maries; 06-02-2012 at 02:31 PM.