+ Reply to Thread

Default Help! brick house is splitting apart

On one corner of my brick house,the brick is actually splitting away from each other, mostly in a step fashion along the mortar, but a couple of the bricks have actually been split in half now. At this point the brick split is about and inch to an inch and a half and now the split seems to be spreading.
    When I went to take pictures of the split i noticed tiny splits all along one side of my house.

I had noticed the split a long time ago and was told "not to worry about it" but now I am worried about it because it has not only gotten much worse than it was but is now spreading.

I live in a one story brick house, no basement, built in the early 80's. My husband seems to think the reason for the split is because the person who built the house neglected to add the metal ties within the brick in order to save time or money or both. I looked this up and it is against building code but the builder is apparently deceased now anyway. My mother seems to think that it is a foundation problem

I have no idea what is wrong, what to do, or who to call to fix this. Has anyone heard of this before? What can I do?

Default Re: Help! brick house is splitting apart

What you describe sounds like a foundation problem under the brick.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Cool Re: Help! brick house is splitting apart

yes i tried posting some pix ill try again right now....

I am not able to post my pix for some reason, i tried resizing them and everything. Im going to upload them somewhere else and try posting a link? will that work?

SO if it is a foundation problem what can be done about it? Who should I call/how much is this going to cost?

DOn't know how much it will cost. Round these parts its $200 per pier. Can't say how many piers you need.

The cracks are normally on a diagonal. If this is at the corner of your home, it usually the very corner than needs to me jacked back up to level.

Call a few respectable local foundation repair experts to get pricing.

Oh , and that person who told you to ignore it - stop listening to them.

Quote Originally Posted by zella View Post
    yes i tried posting some pix ill try again right now....

I am not able to post my pix for some reason, i tried resizing them and everything. Im going to upload them somewhere else and try posting a link? will that work?

SO if it is a foundation problem what can be done about it? Who should I call/how much is this going to cost?

A picture is worth 1000 words, and you need 10 postings to be able to load photos.

It's easier to recommend a course of action when we actually see the problem.

well i don't want to spam on the boards so it may be a day or two before i can post 10 things and put pictures on...

it is happening on the diagnol. what can happen if this isn't fixed? it seems to have accelerated over the past few months

also I think i might repost this in the foundation forum...
    also unfortunately we built a deck which is in front of one of the walls that is cracking...would they have to tear up the deck in order to put in these piers?

Dunno,

We don't know where you are, the types of soil you have or how the deck was constructed. At the very worst a few deck boards get removed for easier access, which is another good reason to use screws to build the deck (or at least re-assemble it)