+ Reply to Thread

Default Recommendation for Outdoor Motion Sensor Light

Can someone please recommend a good outdoor motion sensor light? We are looking for something that is both attractive and that actually works, and have been having a surprisingly difficult time. We have looked at both Loews and Home Depot, and found the choices to be rather limited. We have already tried a couple different models that did not work well. The lights will need to be mounted somewhat high-up (about 8 feet) on the side of our house along the driveway. Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Default Re: Recommendation for Outdoor Motion Sensor Light

Try shopping on line. There are endless number of outlets listed there.

It looks like you need a fixture with a sensor module that can be aimed (so it "works" ?), slightly downward and at an angle of 45 degrees or less relative to the wall assuming you want to illuminate your side driveway as you pull up.

From my limited experience, the "nice looking" ones have a fixed positon sensor with wide angle -- they look with a regular light fixture but with a sensor in the body, but at 8-ft high up, the verticle sensor coverage may not detect objects until they are close by.

The ones with an adjustable sensor head are the industrial looking, commodity fixtures with tri-heads (2 PAR and 1 sensor module) or dual-heads (large halogen or flourescent head and 1 sensor module). These are the ones avaialble at HD, Lowe's etc. which apparently don't meet your needs.

So, as the poster said, try the internet but you have to be aware of return terms & conditions and often shipping is high for delivery & return for these kinds of products.

Try a lighting store; they have better selections and aren't that much more expensive than the big bix stores. In my area, I like Lamps Plus and Destination Lighting (both on internet also).

Look for a solar application for ease of installation...

I carry a whole truck full of them and have never found one that would work well without standing in front of it waiving my arms.

If someone really insist I will install one...then get ready for the call-backs.

If somebody knows of a real good one I'm all ears!

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    I carry a whole truck full of them and have never found one that would work well without standing in front of it waiving my arms.

If someone really insist I will install one...then get ready for the call-backs.

If somebody knows of a real good one I'm all ears!
    Two or three factors here:

1. Most parts on these lights are plastic, and they can't take the outdoor elements.

2. Companies that sell them are more interested in consumers replacing their motion detectors lights more frequently than making lights that last.

3. They're probably made in China, and for the price, this is what you get.

I dunno. I have two properties and I have them mounted all over my houses (especially areas that are not well seen from the street, etc.). Mine have lasted for YEARs and yes, most of them are the cheaper, plastic, box store units. From what I understand, they detect movement passing by in their detectable field range meaning that someone..or something would have to pass across it. Simply standing and waving your arms in front of it doesn't make it trip on. I usually have to fiddle with the placement of the sensor, sensitivity of the sensor, etc. to get it to my liking. My only problem is with critters...or windy days....I will get false trips.

Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    I dunno. I have two properties and I have them mounted all over my houses (especially areas that are not well seen from the street, etc.). Mine have lasted for YEARs and yes, most of them are the cheaper, plastic, box store units. From what I understand, they detect movement passing by in their detectable field range meaning that someone..or something would have to pass across it. Simply standing and waving your arms in front of it doesn't make it trip on. I usually have to fiddle with the placement of the sensor, sensitivity of the sensor, etc. to get it to my liking. My only problem is with critters...or windy days....I will get false trips.
    I too have had marginal success but, as a professional contractor, motion detectors seem too...marginal for many homeowners.

As a result, a simple installation can easily result in many call-backs and wasted hours. I've had some that would respond to an individual standing motionless when the sensor first starts "looking" and trips if even a hand is raised, from their side. But, you just can't count on it.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content