+ Reply to Thread

Default Can I use solar?

Hi everyone, I really am uneducated when it comes to solar power. I have an outdoor "fountain" with led lights. I am looking to convert the fountain to solar (I see solar fountain pumps offered but have read not such good reviews on them). Any recommendations? I'm not looking at a high rise. Maybe about a foot or so. I would mostly like to convert the led lighting to solar. There is a transformer plug which reads: " In: 120 VAC 60Hz 10VA. Out: 12 VAC 0.5A 6VA". I would certainly think that there is a small solar setup with battery pack that would power these lights into the night? Any suggestions. Thanks.

Default Re: Can I use solar?

Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    Hi everyone, I really am uneducated when it comes to solar power. I have an outdoor "fountain" with led lights. I am looking to convert the fountain to solar (I see solar fountain pumps offered but have read not such good reviews on them). Any recommendations? I'm not looking at a high rise. Maybe about a foot or so. I would mostly like to convert the led lighting to solar. There is a transformer plug which reads: " In: 120 VAC 60Hz 10VA. Out: 12 VAC 0.5A 6VA". I would certainly think that there is a small solar setup with battery pack that would power these lights into the night? Any suggestions. Thanks.
    Usually LED's work on 12 VDC not AC. The "transformer" is rated for 6 watts which is not much in terms of house wiring but if the LED's require 6 watts you're probably looking a 2' x 4' panel ($160).

So, if you're going solar to save on you're power bill your return on investment will take quite awhile, since these lights will burn 1000 hours for about $0.60, (based on $0.10 per KWh).
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Thanks for the advice, and you're right, in that case it isn't worth my while. Where I get confused is..I was looking in one of the box stores the other day and they had a solar light set (patio lights) with a panel, roughly 5' x 9" (with battery storage) and this powered (3) solar lights w/ (I think) 2-3 led's a piece. There was also a two prong connection that looked like a perfect match for my lights (which plugs into the transformer). I therefore thought that powering my 5-6 led lights shouldn't have been any problem. The price for the patio light set-up was about $38.

Solar is a great idea but mass production has gotten ahead of technology.

A whole roof of panels would be required to microwave dinner and the cost would be in the thousands.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content