+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anode Rod

Default Anode Rod

Hi All,
    This is a general problem I have heard many times and am now having difficulty with it myself. I have a Rheem Fury gas water heater, 90 gallons, etc. It's from 2005. I decided earlier this year to check the anode and see what was up for general maintenance purposes. As I could have guessed, the anode was seized up in the threads and would not come out. I wound up using a massive wood handled plant-potter that was 4 feet long for leverage. the tank moved a bit on the floor. is there any trick to loosening the anode?

Thanks

Default Re: Anode Rod

In case you never get the anode removed, you can purchase an anode attached to a nipple that goes on the hot/output side of the water heater.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I have seen those available for Rheem units. Is there a chance the hot draw-out side may also be seized in? I would imagine so.

To remove the anode rod which wouldn't budge, use a 4 foot long pipe. Just slip it on a wrench handle (with 1-1/16" nut driver). You will need a helper to hold down the water heater. You could spray some wd 40, it might help.

To bring the water heater back to its original position, try moving it with your helper. Too heavey? empty it.

Every thing you mentioned was tried. it was some sort of 6' long handled gardening tool our neighbor loaned us. Got plenty of leverage on the tank, but not the Anode. We emptied the tank all the way into several buckets. (90 gallon). But is it possible that the hot water draw-out could be seized in as much as the anode? I suppose it is possible. What do you think?

To answer your question about the hot water nipple: it's entirely possible that this nipple won't budge either.

You didn't mention what kind of warranty you have on your water heater: 6 year warranty, 9 year or 12 year (it says on the sticker). My guess is that you have 6 yrs. If that's the case, I won't even bother with the anode rod.

But if you insist on replacing the rod, give Rheem a call, they might help you. If they don't, get a plumber with better tools to help you. If you call a plumber who will successfully replace your anode rod, you'll be out at least $120. If you think it's worth it, go for it.

It will probably go something like this;

You: So you think you can replace this anode rod?

Plumber: Well if it breaks off, we'll need to replace the HWH. scratches beard So the price to replace the anode rod is $XX (the same as replacing the HWH)