+ Reply to Thread

Default Prefab countertop mitre joints not flush

I recently purchased the prefab countertops you find in the big box stores.

After spending 8 hours of ripping out old countertop and sink and prepping new the tops for install, I find the miter joints aren't even close to flush. I stupidly assumed they would fit since they were pre-cut.

The corner joint at the front and the backsplash come together but leave a huge gap in the middle.

I've tried some sanding at what appear to be high areas but am afraid I may have made things worse.

Buying 2 new pieces will hurt, but its not out of the question.

Is this common with these prefab pieces? What should I be doing to remedy these bad pre-cuts ?

Default Re: Prefab countertop mitre joints not flush

Do you have support under the new counters aside from the cabinets? Like BC plywood? If you have a nice even crescent shaped gap, it may be from a sag in the counters, or lack of support. Beaver barf has a great tendancy to sag in heat and or humidity. Grab a framing square and check for flattness.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Do you have support under the new counters aside from the cabinets? Like BC plywood? If you have a nice even crescent shaped gap, it may be from a sag in the counters, or lack of support. Beaver barf has a great tendancy to sag in heat and or humidity. Grab a framing square and check for flattness.
    That is a good point that I will double check. But, yes, I did tack build-up strips on all the new pieces. I tried lining up the pieces while lying them on the floor - I think the cut is truly bad.

For anyone who is interested...

I have to conclude that the joint was simply bad. I've since found that I could/should have had the big box store dry fit the pieces and remedy for me before I left with them.

I ended up sanding down the nose and the backslash areas to get the joint flush. That was somewhat successful. The nose and whole joint are flush and look about good as I could have hoped.

But I screwed up the back splash by sanding too much. There's gap now at the backsplash corner that I should be able to fill with some scrap material.

All in all, the project was a success. For a few hundred dollars, I have a new counter and sink.

Thanks for the update.

Its nice to know what happened.