+ Reply to Thread

Default Any way to renew acrylic tub/surround?

I have a one-piece acrylic tub and surround that is 35 years old! It's still in good shape (no cracks, leaks, etc.) but the finish is dull and stained by years of well water. It just won't clean up anymore.

Is there anything I can do to improve its looks? Other than tearing the bath down to the studs and starting over?

Default Re: Any way to renew acrylic tub/surround?

Yes, you can have a new finish applied. Look in the phone book under bathtub refinishers.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yes, refinish is your cheapest solution at the moment, but keep in mind that even a very good refinish won't last very long. Certainly not 35 years.

Ask the refinisher for refrences from a couple of years ago and actually call them and talk to them.

Refinishing should last 3 to 5 years, longer under minimal use, less under heavy or abusive use. For around $500, what can you expect?

I agree, absolutely find several companies and ask for both a quote and references, then go check those references out.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!