Hello all. First time poster, long time reader.

I'm trying to figure out how to properly ventilate my attic. Just some background info, I've lived in a small cape cod in New Jersey for about 3 years now. My attic is nothing more than a crawlspace above the 2nd floor of my home. The ceiling in the attic is about 3 feet high at the peak of the roof, 30 feet long, and about 6 feet wide at the floor. In the summer, the 2nd floor gets unreasonably hot. Not only does it get hot, but there's no air movement whatsoever. Even with a 12000BTU air conditioner running in our bedroom, you can still feel the heat radiating downward from the ceiling.

The prior owner had a powered roof vent installed but the electricity to it was cut long before we moved into the home. I don't know how well the powered roof vent would work anyway. I'm not quite sure where the unit would pull fresh air in from. There is no soffit space so installing soffit vents is not going to happen.

So to those much wiser than I, what are my options for getting rid of all that hot, stale air?

Thanks in advance!

Allan