+ Reply to Thread

Default Old Pipes-Stuck-Paint

Hi
    My main shut off is in the basement, my house use built in 1945. I want to say its the valve? It is dripping, My friend and husband tried to pull it apart to fix it, but neither of them could get it un done. It has been painted over. What can I do? It is one of the reason my basement smell's musty..

Thanks

Default Re: Old Pipes-Stuck-Paint

First of all, you should never "pull apart" plumbing components.

Shut off the main to the house at the street. Remove some of the paint (scr ape, rub off or use heat) to determine if the parts are soldered or threaded together. Then, using the right tools, remove the leaking part.

If you don't know how call a plumber.

Thanks I know not to pull it apart! And it is threded, screwed together however you want it worded. And If I could afford to call a plumber, I wouldn't be looking via web on how to do it myself. Thanks

If the valve has been there since 1945 your lucky they didn't break it off by pulling on it with wrenches. If that happens you will have more then a musty smell in your basement. There are some things that a DIY shouldn't try. This is one of them.

John

Thanks again- As for the pipe being here sense 1945- The house began being built in 1945 finish in 1950, my neighbor that lives in one of the first homes built in this neighbor hood has pictures.

So idk if it has ever been changed! Our friend that tried to take it apart is a handyman- and maintiance supervisor, and had the proper tools.

Our house is on a neighbor hood well, and the shut off for the water which shuts off everyone in the neighbor hoods water is across the street. When they tried to take it apart a couple weeks ago it would not budge, and they said when they would try to turn it to loosen it the entire pipe rotated, so they didn't want to mess anything up. Which doesn't solve the problem. The handyman will not do any work for free, and I'm getting divorced, yet stuck here in this house w/ the ex until it is sold! And if the ex doesn't fix things, no one will buy the house, and he won't have to financially take care of his self! This has been going on for 2 yrs..

Danielle,

We are all volunteers here, giving some free advice. We don't have to do it and we don't get paid for doing it, but you have to decide whether you can do a certain job or not.

I'm sorry about your financial and personal difficulties, but home ownership is costly and if you can't fix your home while you're trying to sell it, sell it "as is" or lower your price. There are a bunch of buyers looking for fixer uppers, which sell rather quickly. If your house has been for sale for two years with no results, it may be overpriced.

Back to our subject: Some DIYs and handymen take on jobs that are too complicated for them, causing bigger, more expensive problems. We are trying to warn you, so you don't end up with a huge problem.

And in many cases, hiring a qualified plumber is the cheapest solution.

Ok thanks for your advice and time.. My house has been on the market for a month and a half this time, It was on the market last yr for about 6 months.