+ Reply to Thread

Default Shower water spout too far from the wall

We just moved into a house. The water spout in one of the showers sticks out from the shower wall by about 1/4". The caulk is gone, but I think the gap is too big for just caulk. How do I move it back against the shower wall?

Default Re: Shower water spout too far from the wall

Question: Do you mean the tub spout?

In most cases, the spout goes on a nipple that extends from the faucet out. In your case the nipple may be a bit too long. Unscrew it and replace with a shorter one.

Another question: can the spout move/rock back and forth?

Yes it is the water spout for the tub.

It doesn't move either side to side, but if you push it really hard you can push it towards the wall.

is the rest of the plumbing loose?

Some tub spouts are mounted to copper pipe rather than being threaded on. There will be a setscrew accessed via a hole under the spout next to the wall. You will need an allen wrench for this.

You may not be able to push the spout all the way on. In this case, you will need to remove a portion of the copper pipe using a tubing cutter. There is some degree of forgiveness in the spout, so you should be able to cut about 3/8" off -- but I can't be certain of that.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Some tub spouts are mounted to copper pipe rather than being threaded on. There will be a setscrew accessed via a hole under the spout next to the wall. You will need an allen wrench for this.

You may not be able to push the spout all the way on. In this case, you will need to remove a portion of the copper pipe using a tubing cutter. There is some degree of forgiveness in the spout, so you should be able to cut about 3/8" off -- but I can't be certain of that.

Thumbs up......I just had to do this myself for a friend.....if the set screw isnt on the bottom turn the spout it may of been installed up. You will be able to see it through the knotch out on the underside of the spout.....
    Last edited by Gizmo; 05-29-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content