+ Reply to Thread

Default Framing Question

My neighbor, bless his heart, is long on ideas and short on cash and abilities. He is trying to build himself an art studio in the backyard, which is basically going to be a shed style structure.

Rather than putting on a typical gable roof, he wants to do sort of a modified shed roof (single pitch to one side ). I don't know what the style is called, so I'll try to describe it.

Basically the shed is 12' wide. He wants to do a single pitch across 8' of it. At the ridge he wants a vertical drop and then continue the roof with another pitch to the outside wall. If you hold your hands in the shape of a gable, now drop one hand down about 2", that is what he wants to do.

I say it will significantly increase his costs to do this and have recommended simplicity, but I respect his wanting to not have this monolithic structure to look at, and to be honest, I don't want to look at some hacked together POS either.

The cost of trusses is going to be prohibitive, so what would be a suitable framing solution? I am thinking a joist across the span, then installing a vertical at 8' to carry the main roof slope and then attach the shorter and lower slope to the side of the vertical. The roof is going to be tin over 1x4 and waffle boards, so weight will be minimal. Total span is 12', roof pitch 4/12.

What would be the proper dimension for the joist and vertical piece. The top I'm figuring 2x4 with some structural webbing to carry the span.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Framing Question

If you have a rise of 4' over 12' span, the top of the ridge at 8' span will be 2'6" above the top plate.

What's the length, or depth of the shed? knowing this will determine how to support the following and what size rafters to use.

One way of framing with ridge, ledger and rafters:

-At the 8' mark, frame a wall 2'6" high, including a 2x6 ridge, mounted at the far side of the top plate of this wall.
    -Install a 2x6 ledger across this wall on the side of the short rafters, 2' high.
    -Now you're ready to cut the rafters. The long rafters will hang on the ridge and the short rafters will hang on the ledger.

Make sense? I drew a plan, let me see if I can snap a pix and send it to you.

Building dimension is 12' wide X 20' long

What I was thinking is using a 2x6 or 2x8 joist to span with a 2x4 vertical and rafter. Additional webbing would be installed to increase support of the rafter. The rafter would extend past the outside wall on one end and past the vertical wall on the other. The short section of roof would obviously start at the vertical member and overhang the outside wall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I think you're asking about a half-clerestory roof, like a factory roof where you'd want light in the center.

It would be more efficient to do the whole roof as a single-plane shed, and add the clerestory windows across the high side.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    It would be more efficient to do the whole roof as a single-plane shed, and add the clerestory windows across the high side.
    Casey
    That was my opinion as well and ultimately much cheaper and easier to build than the celery thingy you were talking about.

Like I said, the kid is long on ideas, but short on cash and ability.

how about a small sketch Spruceeee...
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Because this F'ing site is worthless when it comes to such things.

I've tried a number of methods to upload the image and TOH is calling it an invalid or unavailable image. It is smaller than the maximum allowable size in every way and is one of the specified file formats. My suspicion is that basically you can't upload images anymore, they've got to be hosted and I don't have that ability.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 05-29-2012 at 01:45 PM.

I believe it is called contemporary style and it is useful for putting windows or vents on the vertical. A single pitched shed roof would be simpler and less expensive, but maybe he just likes the contemporary look better. Its just to do this, your way is one way, but he will need a 2x10 joist has the joist will have to support the whole roof. The rafters will not support each other like they do in a normal roof.

Here is an alternative, use an LVL, or three 2x10's nailed together as a ridge beam. Eliminate the joists. Use 2x6 rafters on the back side resting on the back wall and hung on the ridge beam. A second ridge beam under the first made up of three 2x6's would support the front rafters. The space between the ridge beams could house windows and/or vents (crank out windows hinged at the top?).

I think this would work with a little more roof pitch, 4/12 isn't going to leave much room.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    Its just to do this, your way is one way, but he will need a 2x10 joist has the joist will have to support the whole roof. The rafters will not support each other like they do in a normal roof.
    I figured that it would probably take a pretty substantial joist for this type of roof. I like your other idea as well, probably a little cheaper, but I'm willing to bet still outside of the budget for them.

I think we'll go with plan C: A standard shed roof, he can put windows in the wall and be done with it.

Standard truss, peak at center. Then add a 2' wide triangle to one side of the truss (at the peak) to create the roof structure you desire.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.