+ Reply to Thread

Thread: insulation

Default insulation

I have a corner bedroom that is extremely warm in the summer despte A/C. The upstairs bedrooms/bath were added to the house in 1964. Is it worth removing the drywall in that one room and replacing with new insulation? The walls were not primed before painted and have a significant amount of flaking.

Default Re: insulation

It's not a bad idea, but you have to remember that it will be sometime before you recover your costs in the form of energy savings. Look into attic insulation as well.

Also, it will enable you to attach a moisture barrier before the drywall. New drywall has to be primed before painted.

I would first check the attic insulation and ventilation. Rooms under attics are often hotter than rooms on lower floors. A room built in 1964 would have had minimal insulation in the attic. Adding insulation to an attic that is underinsulated has a very short payback period and immediately increases comfort.

Even a 1964 house would probably have 3 1/2 fiberglas insulation in the walls. You can't increase this insulation value with more fiberglas.
    There is no room for more fiberglas. Higher insulation values can be had with foam, but not without a much higher cost.

Under ventilated attics also cause the temperatures in the attic to be extremely high. There should be soffit vents around the perimeter of the house and roof vents as high as possible toward the peak of the house. This will create a natural cooling of the attic, with cooler air rising up and out the higher vents. As a rule of thumb, there should be at least one square foot of ventilation for every 300 square feet of attic space. You can't over ventilate an attic!

Thank you both for your comments. The attic for the new addition is a flat roof so without taking down the ceiling drywall, which we can do, I don't really know what is between the ceiling drywall and the metal roof. When we took off the old siding, we put on moisture barrier paper then. Suggestions about the flat/metal roof and how to check on insulation? My son, primarily, and I do most of the work.