+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default request for paint color advice

I hope you can give me a quick 2-cent comment on the following:

I have an older, 3-story colonial home with (sadly) cream-yellow vinyl siding that we do not plan to remove. I couldn't get the photo to attache but would be happy to send it to you. I have just purchased quality window boxes for the upper windows. I plan to paint the boxes the same grey-green (benjamin moore paint) that is on the window trim and fill with red flowers. I also plan to paint the apex above the steps the same color. Good idea? Any further thoughts/ideas? The door is currently black...should that change? My goal is to draw attention away from the vinyl siding and to add some life (but in a classy way) to the flat-facade of the home without getting too involved in expense or tear-out; and without it looking like lipstick-on-a-pig. Thank you!

Default Re: request for paint color advice

Heide,

You seem to lament the color of your vinyl siding. It is actually possible to paint vinyl siding. 100% acrylic house paints adhere to it well without a primer. The one caveate is to not choose a color significantly darker than the original color. PVC vinyl siding is subject to expansion at relatively low temperatures. Heat absorbtion through dark colors could cause the siding to warp.

Default Re: request for paint color advice

Paint your door a highlight color - that will draw the eye. Also, don't neglect landscaping to deflect the attention.