+ Reply to Thread

Default how to replace old registerboxes

our old duct system needs to be replaced. what is the best way to replace the existing registerboxes.Is there a way without having to get into the ceiling drywall and which brand of registerboxes has no exposed fiberglas to the airflow. are there some with metal on the inside?

Default Re: how to replace old registerboxes

There are twi issues here:

1. If you want to replace your vents, go with flex vents.

2. The register boxes - what kind of boxes do you have? wall, floor or ceiling?

Smile Re: how to replace old registerboxes

we will replace our ducts with flex ducts,
    all register boxes are in the ceiling. wood frame home,ceiling is drywall
    So,
    question1: whats the best way of replacing the old boxes with new ones
    question 2; is there a type of boxes that does not have any Fiberglas exposed to airflow?
    I appreciate any input

Get into the attic and disconnect the boxes from the vents, some a/c techs use duct tape and some use plastic ties. Next, remove all fasteners (screws or nails) that attach the boxes to the joists or other framing members. The boxes are ready to be removed.

You can buy sheet metal boxes which have no fiberglass at Homedepot or Lowes.

This job requires working in the attic (not a job for big guys) and in many instances is physically demanding.

I don't know any installer that would use duct tape, use silver back or foil tape. If you use duct tape you'll be back up in the attic in a week doing it right. If your going to use flex duct make sure you pull it tight, if you don't the inner coil or spring will cause an air restriction, not a complete restriction but you will have a loss of air flow. It's not hard, just hot being in the attic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    I don't know any installer that would use duct tape, use silver back or foil tape. If you use duct tape you'll be back up in the attic in a week doing it right. If your going to use flex duct make sure you pull it tight, if you don't the inner coil or spring will cause an air restriction, not a complete restriction but you will have a loss of air flow. It's not hard, just hot being in the attic.
    Sten,

In the past, duct tape was widely used for ducts. After all, foil tape is relatively new. So are the ties.

I meant to use past tense when I said that "some a/c techs use duct tape". Sould have said: "used".

I don't know the age of this particular home, but I bet it has duct tape in its ducting system.

For the new flex ducts, use foil tape ot ties for sure.

IN the past, good installers did all metal duct and did proper sheet metal seaming techniques and/or used mastic. They still didn't use duct tape unless they were hacks.

But yes, you want to use foil tape. You can go to some ****** supply stores and get the better, thicker, wider foil tape. I think foil tape is also sometimes called mastic tape. I would use a zip tie of hte inside, then foil tape, then zip ties the outer sleeve.

What the OP needs are called register boots. They come in different orientations and are sized to the register grill.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

Thank you all for the input.
    I still have the same issue, how to remove the existing registerboxes? the old ones have flanges and are fastened to fir strips above the drywall,but are installed before the drywall was put up.so i guess ihave to cut the fir strips and then add some members to fasten the new ones?
    also, I would like to have registerboxes without ductboard or fiberglas exposed to airflow, can you recommend any brands.

Quote Originally Posted by jahaya View Post
    Thank you all for the input.
    I still have the same issue, how to remove the existing registerboxes? the old ones have flanges and are fastened to fir strips above the drywall,but are installed before the drywall was put up.so i guess ihave to cut the fir strips and then add some members to fasten the new ones?
    also, I would like to have registerboxes without ductboard or fiberglas exposed to airflow, can you recommend any brands.
    Let me suggest you contact an a/c guy or a handyman to help you remove these boxes, so you don't end up with a big mess.
    Home Depot carries Master Flow sheet metal boxes.