+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing ceramic tile

We have a small patch of ceramic tile in our front entry adjacent to the living room(about 6' x 6')that we would like to remove in order to install new wood flooring throughout entire living room/ entry way. We have a 1954 house and my best guess is that the subfloors are original. The tile was installed by a previous owner about 4 yrs ago and was done on cement board which was then cemented and screwed to the subfloor. My question is how much trouble will this small patch be to remove given how it was installed? Are we going to end up damaging the subfloors and therefore need to replace that area? Anyone have advice on the best way to go about this? We dont own many power tools and unless it is too labor intensive I would rather not rent power tools to remove such a small area. Just trying to figure out if it will be more trouble than it is worth....Thanks!

Default Re: Removing ceramic tile

Some times the tile is vary easy to remove with just a hammer and a chisel. Depends on the sub-surface that the tile is laying on. If it is densely trowled concrete it is usually vary easy with just the hammer and chisel.If it is on cement board that is kind of rough, you might have to rent a small hammer drill with a chisel attachment. With the hammer drill it will be pretty easy regardless of the sub-surface profile. You can usually rent one for about $40 a day.

A hammer drill is a rotary tool. What you need is a mini jack hammer, called a chipping hammer. You can rent them too. Get a 2" blade and a 4" blade.

No this job will not be easy.

the thing i have found about removing tiles is that you i am never able to remove them without breaking them so i think just go with your insticnts and get the hammer and chizzel to it.

Difficulty level will depend on how well the tile and substrate was installed and your personal tenacity.

You will likely cause some damage to the subfloor (assume it's wood? ), though probably not all that much, certainly that can't be floated out or patched before you install your hardwood. I'd start with a crowbar and hammer and try to get under the tile backer board. If you are indeed working over a wood subfloor it should separate relatively easily if a cement based product was used, if it was an adhesive, all bets are off.

Wear protective clothing, face and eye protection because you'll have shards of tile and debris popping in all directions. Don't worry about the screws, they can be removed with pliers or bent over and broken off, whichever you prefer. If you need to rent a rotary hammer (aka rotohammer, chipping hammer, etc. ) go for it, but use extreme caution not to dig into the subfloor. Some subfloor damage is to be expected, don't worry about it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!