+ Reply to Thread

Default Aluminum or Copper

I need to run a feeder wire 8/3 copper to a sub panel box 160ft away, can i use 6/3 aluminum inplace of the copper?

Default Re: Aluminum or Copper

Yes, providing the breaker and lugs are AL/CU rated, you use anti oxidation paste on the ends, and you tighten down the connections properly.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

6-6-6-6 AL SER cable. You will need four conductors. Anti-oxidant is only required if the cable manufacturer and/or the equipment manufacturer requires it. Square D, for one, does not.
    Last edited by brrichter; 06-01-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brrichter View Post
    6-6-6-6 AL SER cable. You will need four conductors. Anti-oxidant is only required if the cable manufacturer and/or the equipment manufacturer requires it. Square D, for one, does not.
    Because we have no idea the vintage of the equipment, I always recommend anti Ox paste. And you are right it would have to be 6-6-6 AL SER cable

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 06-01-2012 at 11:17 PM.

You may also want to check with your insurance company to see if they cover modern aluminum wiring. WIth the bad rep AL wiring got in the early 70's, some insurance companies don't go near it. Just like wood shingles in some areas of the country.

Here is an informative article about AL wiring. http://www.southwire.com/commercial/...ireHistory.htm Most SER cables installed are aluminum and I have not heard of any insurance company refusing to cover a house in which AA-8000 SER cables are used.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 06-02-2012 at 12:09 AM.

I chose 10/3 UF copper for a run to a sub-box not even half that distance. I chose the copper because...well...I chose it! I also chose to use a little trench digger!

There is something to mixing copper and aluminum wire for sure. Myself, not understanding what that something is for sure, I left it all copper...from the main in the house to the sub-box...from the sub-box to the different wire runs from the sub-box to wherever I wanted whatever. The house had all copper...

I also did all this when copper wasn't nearly as expensive as it has gotten lately...bought everything about three years ago.

Good luck!