+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Bubbles in Finish

I resurfaced a bar with maple luan. After staining the surface I cleaned with tack cloth and applied spar varnish. The first coat had a lot of little "bumps" so I sanded and applied a second coat. Still lots of little bumps. Third coat and same result. How can I get rid of the bumps in the finish? At this pace it will have 10 coats of spar varnish. Any help out there?

Default Re: Bubbles in Finish

What is the brand of spar varnish and how is it being applied?

It's been a while since I've applied this particular material, but I believe that it needs to be brushed with a natural bristled brush suited to this type of finish, a regular paint brush isn't going to cut it, neither will a sponge brush.

I also believe you need to use slow, careful strokes and as few strokes as possible to keep from whipping air into the finish as it's being applied, hence the lots of little bubbles.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Cabot is the brand. I used a really expensive china bristle brush. I'm kind of thinking that despite the tack cloth I must have varnished over some particles and may have to sand it back down and start over.

The thing is with particles though, they may create bumps the first time through, but once you have sanded and tack clothed it down again, those initial particles should be completely gone. For you to be at the 3rd, 4th, or more coat and still have the same severity of bubble is an indicator of bad product or improper application technique/equipment.

Hopefully one of our resident experts will step in soon and offer their opinion.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I suspect defective product. I was very careful to stir and not shake the can. The brush is top shelf. It could also be a lousy application technique on my part too. I'll go through it again. Would you recommend hand sanding or random orbital?

Hand sanding is best, since you're only trying to smooth the surface, not take the finish off.