+ Reply to Thread

Question Please help me with ideas for "period" retaining wall for 1920's house

Going to revamp landscaping to include removal of trees and retention wall.

I "think" we can regrade the slope to eliminate the wall, but I would like some suggestions and pics of what retaining walls built in the 1920's looked like and from what materials were they made.

Thanks!

Default Re: Please help me with ideas for "period" retaining wall for 1920's house

If it were around my house, town, and region, whatever stone was native to the region was used. Around here, they call it jersey shale, or ironstone. I see many retaining walls made from it simply because back in the day, it was the only thing in abundance.
    So, to answer your question, what are the old walls in your community made from, and/or what stone is native to your region? If you decide to do the wall yourself, I'd recommend the book The Art of Stone Wall Building.

Default Re: Please help me with ideas for "period" retaining wall for 1920's house

Job finished yesterday.

I decided to dig a trench behind the wall, drop some limestone rocks and landscape fabric on top and over slope, and then add fill dirt. Once I removed the dirt, the couple blocks that bowed out were easy to fix.

So, I retained the original wall and made sure it will stay put for another 90 years.

Finished.... in this heat?!? You are my hero. Congrats, another project done.

I leave things like stone wall building for the winter, when I have less outside things to do, and like to get outdoors throughout the entire year.

But with the heat today.... I am off to the pool!