+ Reply to Thread

Default Well pump replacement?

We recently replaced the pressure switch and a relay on our well pump because it was running in short bursts every 5 minutes or so. Now it's running better but still about every 17 minutes, even with the water turned off to the house and barn.

We're going to have it pulled in two weeks and replace it, since it's a 37-year-old Berkeley; I'm not even sure there are parts for it! My question is, what's a good, reliable replacement unit?

Default Re: Well pump replacement?

If it is running with the water turned off to the house and barn would suggest that you have a leak or bad check valve.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Yes, the schematic shows an 'Air Inlet Valve' and a 'Bleeder Valve', both rubber; possibly one or both of them are the problem. At any rate, it's 120' down; I've got the feeling that pulling it is going to be the most expensive part of the job. (Waiting for estimates.) It's one of those 'might as well' things.

A friend suggested a Grundefoss Constant pressure, variable volume pump. Know anything about those?

Quote Originally Posted by queen60 View Post
    Yes, the schematic shows an 'Air Inlet Valve' and a 'Bleeder Valve', both rubber; possibly one or both of them are the problem. At any rate, it's 120' down; I've got the feeling that pulling it is going to be the most expensive part of the job. (Waiting for estimates.) It's one of those 'might as well' things.

A friend suggested a Grundefoss Constant pressure, variable volume pump. Know anything about those?
    It is suppose to be an excellent pump and removes the need for a bladder tank. Not sure if you can adjust the pressure or not.
    Can't even suggest the costs to pull the pump, I do all that work myself on my well.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Between your pressure switch and the well head, there should be a check valve. There should also be another one down in the well just above the pump. If you are getting a lot of air in your water lines, the the lower check valve would be bad. If you are losing pressure, then you either have a leak somewhere in your water lines or the top check valve is bad.

I would start by replacing the top check valve. If it still drains down and you have no water leaks in the house or a toilet that never quite shuts off (you'd be surprised how many toilets have a leak that their owners are unaware of), then start looking at digging up the water line between the well and the house.

If you have a particularly green spot in the lawn, start there. Open your sewer/septic drain clean out closest to the sewer/septic tank and look for a stream of water in it. That would be evidence of a toilet with an internal leak.

You probably don't need a new pump unless you just want one.

We decided to replace the pump anyway because of its age. With our luck, it will die in the middle of a snowstorm next winter if we don't!

We decided to wait on the Grundfos. The controller costs $1800 but can be installed at a later time. Since it needs only a 2-gallon pressure tank, we'll add it when our existing tank goes bad. No sign of failure yet.

Thanks for the responses!