+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help...tile man left black grout on my white tiles!!

I just had an installer begin work on a large bathroom floor in a clubhouse on my farm with black/white checkerboard tile with black grout. He left the job because he was sick without telling anyone. He also left grout all over the white tile...didn't clean it at all. It's been there for four days...we discovered it yesterday. Needless to say, it's difficult to get off, been scrubbing like crazy. But the tile is stained. It's not a sealed tile. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Help...tile man left black grout on my white tiles!!

Why are you trying to remove it? That should be his problem. If the tile is not sealed you may not be able to clean it with out having some staining or scratching of the finish.

John

I would also witthold payments of any kind until a reasonable settlement has been reached with the AWOL tile setter. Let's hope that he's been working out of his own pocket, this will work greatly in your favor.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

In my state, if a contractor, any contractor, causes damages, leaves the job unfinished, doesn't return calls and disappears - you have the right to go to the contractors' board, file a complaint and even get another contractor to fix the problem and finish the job, paid for by the first contractor's bonding company. That's what a bond is for.

Your tile setter is insured and bonded, right? if not, you're out of luck.

He's gone and I haven't paid him anything. Do not want him back. The job is only about 25% finished so we are trying to get the grout off of the tiles. We have farm labor who can clean the tiles but nothing is getting the stain off. Is there a product made to help? Thank you...sorry I wasn't more clear in my beginning post!

You may want to check the following product Data.
    ProSoCo, Inc.
    1260 Poultice and Marble Poultice.
    Both will need 12 / 24 hours to lift stains.

Google Johnbridge tile forum
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ltchap View Post
    He's gone and I haven't paid him anything. Do not want him back. The job is only about 25% finished so we are trying to get the grout off of the tiles. We have farm labor who can clean the tiles but nothing is getting the stain off. Is there a product made to help? Thank you...sorry I wasn't more clear in my beginning post!
    In light of the new information:

If you didn't pay this tile setter any money for his labor and materials, then you are in good shape.

I'd mitigate my loss, rip these tiles and start over. Why? because stains are not easy to remove, possibly damaging the tile finish.

Good advice on the John Bridge Tile Forum.

Those matte tiles are notorious for holding dirt marks and looking dingy. Removing them would be easier than cleaning, and you can get the new contractor to guarantee the whole job instead of part of the job.

Getting ill in the middle of a job isn't good for anyone, including the contractor.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Removing them would be easier than cleaning, and you can get the new contractor to guarantee the whole job instead of part of the job.
    I agree with this also. You'll likely never totally remove the staining, which means the tiles are going to look different against the rest of the new tile once it is laid and grouted. Bite the bullet and start over. The finished project will look far better if laid properly by one individual than pieced in by several.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!