+ Reply to Thread

Default keep or remove plaster walls

Hello, new to this site....we have recently purchased an old brick farmhouse with plaster walls. I have been told plaster is the superior material. I would like to keep them if possible. We have talked to several experienced builders, but we seem to get conflicting opinions frequently. The walls do have cracks but are generally straight and fairly flat. I have not found any areas where i can push, or where they seem loosened from the lathe. However, i would like to get to a smooth, crack free surface for painting. Some have recommended just gluing a thin drywall directly to the plaster. This concerns me because of the weight. Others have said to properly repair the cracks then resurface with drywall mud. Yet others have said to use caulk for filling cracks. How do we know who to believe? or which course of action is best? These are supposedly reputable people...why so many different opinions? Difficult to find a plaster "expert" so far. How can I find an expert in my area? any input would be appreciated.

Default Re: keep or remove plaster walls

The plaster you describe can be repaired.
    DO NOT USE ANT JOINT COMPOUNDS OR SHEET ROCK MUDS.
    Any loose or damaged plaster needs to be removed and replaced with a like plaster material.
    Than for a smooth flat finished surface use a venneer plaster product such as one of the following.
    Master of Plaster is My choice. ( no bonding agent required )
    TexSton
    Variance ( Synthetic )
    Litex
    American Clay
    Franklin Stucco Plaster product.
    Atova veneer Plaster
    Which ever one is picked Make sure it is LIME BASE.
    For a plaster contact one or all of the above manufactures ask if they have an applicator in your area.
    Contact your neerest Historical Society for plasters.

Default Re: keep or remove plaster walls

I agree with Clarence, you need to be talking to a plasterer not a drywaller.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb