+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wood panel walls

the area is slab on grade which was an addition off the back side of my house i'm guessing it was 20 years ago. as far as budget goes a $100 of sheet rock is peanuts for as much of my house as i have torn apart right now. I'm more concerned with time as the project completion date just don't seem to be getting much closer.

That's every construction job, especially if you have kids, pets, a wife, a day job, and have any interest in a life outside your home.

To figure out how long a project will take, get 3 estimates and triple the highest one. To figure out the cost, get 3 estimates and double the highest one.

Quote Originally Posted by jfgrabe View Post
    the area is slab on grade which was an addition off the back side of my house i'm guessing it was 20 years ago. as far as budget goes a $100 of sheet rock is peanuts for as much of my house as i have torn apart right now. I'm more concerned with time as the project completion date just don't seem to be getting much closer.
    If you've only got 1/4" or 3/8" sheetrock under the paneling in a stick framed home, that is cause for concern that warrants stripping the walls to bare stud to inspect the appurtenances. Odds are everything about those walls is suspect and should be inspected to at least be code of 20 years ago if not brought up to current spec.

The reason I say this is that 1/2" rock on residential interiors has been the benchmark since its inception. If this corner was cut at the time of the addition, what other corners were cut or completely ignored that should be addressed today? Worst case scenario is that you were worried about nothing and spent a little money on drywall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!