+ Reply to Thread

Default Priming Fir Door Jambs

The interior doors I recently purchased are primed white but the jambs are not primed. I bought a can of zinsser prime coat 2 (latex) and started priming but it was still showing the wood after one coat. At this rate I'd have to put 2 coats or more to get it solid white. I'm pretty sure I stirred it enough so either I got a bad can or this is not good paint. Not sure if it matters but I was using foam brushes since I've had bad experiences with dropping bristles before. To make matters worse it raised the grain so now I need to sand. I'd appreciate it if anyone can recommend a good paint to complete this job: latex or oil. I'm looking for the best paint that will do the job in one coat and result in a nice finish. A paint that can be sanded is preferred in case of drips/touch up needed.
    Last edited by mtnrider; 05-21-2012 at 12:31 AM. Reason: specified interior doors

Default Re: Priming Fir Door Jambs

It's normal for a primer to not completely hide the surface. It's only to provide a good bond between the surface and the finish paint job.

If it raised the grain a bit, you can hit it with some 000 steel wool or a 220 grit light sanding.

The finish or top coat will smooth it all out for you and give you good coverage.

So will the finish coat hide the wood grain? I was only planning on 1 primer coat and 1 topcoat. The doors, which were primed at the factory are completely white with no grain showing.

You should re prime the door also, it may have been months or more since it was applied. Personally I use oil base primer, it doesn't raise the grain as much as water based primmer.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Does oil based sand as easily? The one comment I've read about oil based is it can yellow over time and bleed through the top coat.

Oil enamel undercoater primer sands very easily, leaving a very smooth surface which will take the final paint well. Oil paint will give a much harder, smoother finish than latex. The one downside to white oil paint is that it will yellow with age. Latex paints do not yellow.

It generally takes a primer and two finish coats to get a really good looking surface.