+ Reply to Thread

Default downspout used as dryer duct

While cleaning my dryer vent I noticed the connection from the top of the wall to the roof (semi rigid aluminum flex)had come undone(at the top of the wall). To my surprise I found 3x4 downspout being used in the wall for the dryer duct. It was attached with duct tape that had failed. I went and got 4 inch round to replace it as there was a 6 inch wall but upon opening the wall found the reason this had been done was two 110v wires running perpendicular in the wall. I am guessing this is not to code but not really sure how to fix it. The laundry room has a dropped ceiling and all other ceilings around it are cathedral so rerouting the wiring is not going to be easy. I am currently modifying the downspout so it can better be attached to the ducting to the roof but I'd like a best practice solution. I can fit 4inch duct but no assurance it will not come into contact with the electrical wiring. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: downspout used as dryer duct

If you can't get by the wires stop the dryer duct short of them and reroute out the wall, then patch the roof.

Default Re: downspout used as dryer duct

I can't see where the downspout would be much further away from the wires than the proper vent piping would be. Try pushing or pulling the wires to gain clearance and if that works arrange for them to stay there with something non-metallic that will tolerate the expected heat. Plastic duct and pipe hanger strap should work well for that. Maybe you can screw it to a framing member with a long screwdriver and a sheetrock screw- that's what I would try first. Then you should be able to use the proper dryer ducting instead of a bodge!

Phil