+ Reply to Thread

Threaded View

Default fix poor installation of granite countertops

Hi all . . . this question is mainly asking for advice from others who may be stone contractors or may have dealt with something like this before.

I had new granite countertops installed a few days ago over base units that I built. I went with a middle bid, so not the cheapest, but not the highest either. The cabinets are U-shaped, with one arm of the U dividing the kitchen and dining area.

After the installation was done, I looked at the work and immediately noticed three things. One is that it has four seams. Three of the seams are very well matched for color and grain, so the number of seams isn't a big problem and it's something I can accept, I had just thought there would be only two seams. I haven't brought this up to the contractor as a problem.

The first of the two bigger problems is that one seam, on the long arm of the U and very visible, is distinctly mismatched. The stone is basically tan with areas of whitish-green mottling and areas with a rust-color mottling. This one seam places these two color variances adjacent, making an obvious seam. They told me I had to buy two slabs of stone for the job, and I've been told there is 3/4 of a slab left, so I think the 29 x 7-inch piece that that goes behind the slide-in stove and forms part of this seam could have easily been selected from elsewhere for a better match.

And largest problem is that the three pieces that make up the long arm of the U are not set straight. Pulling a line from corner to corner, there is about a 3/8-inch dip in the middle of a 10-foot length, and it is quite visible from across the room. I think what happened is the template they made was inadequate.

I have paid the contractor a little less than half of the job, and I want him to fix the problems before I pay any more. I emailed him and included pictures of the two problems two days ago, but have not heard back yet.

Ideally, I feel the entire top should be replaced because they are unlikely to be able to match the stone. On the other hand, they epoxied the top down, so I'm afraid that whatever they do will damage my cabinets I put so much work into, and that there is a chance they will wind up making things worse overall. So my questions are, what would be a reasonable fix that I can practically expect, and is there any advice about how I should try to have this fixed to minimize damage to the base units?

extremely frustrated,
    Last edited by nellfeather; 05-20-2012 at 03:15 PM.