+ Reply to Thread

Question Laying tile over old tile

I know it is not typically done, but we are fixing up a 40 year old rental condo that has one inch tiles (original) in both small bathrooms. There is no damage or cracking anywhere in the tile and it seems that it forms an extra water protection or barrier between us and the floors below, We see no reason that we cannot lay new tile on top of it when we update the bathroom, if we do it properly. We would like some advice on the best way to do this and also how to handle the slight increase in height for the toilet re installation. Thank you carolitis

Question Re: Laying tile over old tile

I know it is not typically done, but we are fixing up a 40 year old rental condo that has one inch tiles (original) in both small bathrooms. There is no damage or cracking anywhere in the tile and it seems that it forms an extra water protection or barrier between us and the floors below, We see no reason that we cannot lay new tile on top of it when we update the bathroom, if we do it properly. We would like some advice on the best way to do this and also how to handle the slight increase in height for the toilet re installation. Thank you carolitis.
    Last edited by carolitis; 05-20-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: copy

Default Re: Laying tile over old tile

For all things tile related, head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum. There you'll find an extensive library, speedy answers and the ability to post pictures.

IMHO, by adding new tiles over your existing tiles, you'll be raising your floor to a level that I may consider too high. You will have a problem with the cabinet, tub, toilet and the transition to the outside of the bathroom.

To put new tile over old just says one thing to me...(not trying to be rude, just honest) It says lazy.

Rip out the old. My place had 4 layers of flooring on it! I ripped it all out, laid new sub floor & laid down the black hex tile I have always dreamed of:

Under this 80's vinyl were 3 other layers...

Now it's this, done correctly, and it will long outlast me...as it should!
    The true Craftsman is nearly extinct,
    now it's just Made in China Hidden Content