+ Reply to Thread

Question Fiberglas Window good for a Bathroom Shower?

Well I am looking to remodel my bathroom cica 1940's and back then they had windows in the shower. Is a Fiberglas Window a good choice for replacing the one that is there now? What is a good brand?

Looking to replace the tub as well as the tile all at one time but cannot afford a contractor to do it limited budget but want to find quality products that will last.

Any recommendations trying to get the items together to get started.

Thanks,
    MMeehan

Default Re: Fiberglas Window good for a Bathroom Shower?

The solid vinyl American Craftsman series 300 windows from HD are a favorite of mine. Fiberglass is great too. Solid windows in a shower are better than ones with any steel parts which can rust.

There are some plastic tubs that look and feel just like porcelain. Steel tubs are cheap, for a reason.

For complete DIY step by step instructions and the ability to post pictures, along with an extensive library, head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum. Tell them we said hello.

I would go with an aluminum, mostly because I hate vinyl windows and doors because they generally don't operate smoothly.

Hopefully your window is above the shower area, windows within the shower are notorious for leaking into the wall. If you've got a window within the shower area, then I would recommend reducing it's size and get it above the tile, since this is a complete remodel of the bathroom and you'll have access to the studs.

For the tub I would recommend cast iron first, it is the most durable. Enameled steel aren't bad, but they do chip when things are dropped in them. I'm not a fan of fiberglass tubs because the gloss coat does wear out and then the porous fiberglass is exposed, which will collect dirt and body oils. IMHO, fiberglass is a little harder to keep clean than enameled tubs, but this is really mostly a matter of personal preference.

I will second the recommendation to visit the John Bridge forum for tile advice.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The window in the shower is a large one and right now I cannot afford to redo the exterior of the house it having aluminum siding on it & to block off the an area for a small sized window as suggested. I had thought about glass block but not sure it would be a good choice for a window. My reason for asking about Fiberglass. I agree with a cast iron tub but not sure I can get one throught the door opening right now it looks like I will have to break the current one there in to small pieces to get it out of the room.

Thanks for the infomation I will check of the other website and see what I can learn there...

MMeehan

If you can't afford replacing the window and the window doesn't leak - keep it. Glass blocks installed incorectly leak and leak and leak.

Cast iron bath tubs are wonderful, but they are a pain to replace. When I encounter a situation like yours, I opt for a steel tub. It's cheaper, easier to handle and may give 25 years or more of good service. Sure it has disadvantages, but considering what you explained, it might be your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    The solid vinyl American Craftsman series 300 windows from HD are a favorite of mine. Fiberglass is great too. Solid windows in a shower are better than ones with any steel parts which can rust.

There are some plastic tubs that look and feel just like porcelain. Steel tubs are cheap, for a reason.

For complete DIY step by step instructions and the ability to post pictures, along with an extensive library, head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum. Tell them we said hello.
    I'm sorry, but I just don't see how you can think that a vinyl window and a plastic tub could be considered "quality" products that will last!

BOTH materials are known to crack, stretch, and fail.

"Plastic" is NOT the new wood...or cast iron!

Not even close!
    The true Craftsman is nearly extinct,
    now it's just Made in China Hidden Content

A properly installed good quality fiberglass or vinyl window is the way to go. And I'd opt for the steel tub too due to the cost constraints. Different materials expand and contract at different rates but so do different species of wood. This is allowed for through proper installation and will not be a problem for you so long as you follow the instructions with the product, or lacking that the instructions on the manufacturer's website. .

Your biggest issue will be water from the shower affecting the window sill area. You may have to do some design work but you positively need slope away from that window- the usual horizontal stool is a no-go as it allows water to stand. I'm a big fan of the newer PVC 'pseudo-lumber' in places like this since it cannot rot, thus leaving you with only water ingression to worry about.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Happy DIY'ing!

Phil

Thanks, I am starting to get my list of things together that helps looks like I will go with a Fiberglass window and start working on a plan for a tipped sill for it.

MMeehan