+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New deck

Question New deck

I would like to have a deck built. I will have the screened sunroom torn down (no walls). What would be some of the first steps I need to consider?
    Last edited by Dgduchess134@gmail.com; 05-18-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Misspelled word

Default Re: New deck

the design of the deck meaning have a sketch, permits, find a contractor who is experienced with building decks
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Also, what type of materials you are going to use.

I know nothing about building a deck myself. This will take more research and asking a lot of questions starting with this site, and moving on from here. Any suggestions would be helpful. Dg

If I were in your position, I'd contact a few deck builders in your area, discuss your options and get answers to all your questions. Many of those contractors will be able to draw plans and get them ready for plan check.

In the meantime, you can read about decks in special books available at HD or Lowes, or find ideas on line.

If you're set on DIY, you can totally do it with a few helpers and a couple of weekends. That is, after you do all the footwork (design it carefully and safely, request permits, ensure you have the correct tools, purchase lumber, etc). But it's totally doable for a careful beginner.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my deck dilemma. I don't think this is a project I would take on with a few of my friends. I don't have any "friends" with carpenter skills. I will look into interviewing contractors who are skilled in deck building, and work with me in drawing up sketches.