+ Reply to Thread

Default Mysterious light stains in wood AREN'T accepting stain.

I'm refinishing my pine stairs. I started sanding with 36 grit and went up to 120. When removing the finish on the sides of the stairs, some whitish stains came into view. Since I wanted the wood color to match our natural oak flooring, I went with a waterbased clear stain + poly. No luck. The stains didn't change. I asked advice from the guy at Lowe's who told me I'd have to sand it all off and start over. I thought I'd TRY to go over the poly first since it had only been two hours since I applied it. So I went over it with an oil based stain + poly (Minwax Polyshades Natural Oak). That worked, oddly enough, on every part of the stairs EXCEPT those stupid light stains. So I sanded the stained areas to bare wood and reapplied the Minwax. Still no luck. Will I have to give up and paint?

Default Re: Mysterious light stains in wood AREN'T accepting stain.

Something got into the wood pretty deep, the first question is what is it and how deep. I know, there's no way to tell. The second question is how big and what is the shape of the stains? The reason I ask this is I am wondering if it maybe a wood filler that is no longer accepting stain. If the stains look like a splash or spill a few things might work, first try cleaning with acetone with the windows open. Second thing would be wood bleach. Third, sand the hell out of it. Try small test sections first in the order I gave you and let the wood dry before you try to restain the section. Good luck