+ Reply to Thread

Default Building Freestanding Deck (Because I'm Afraid of Ledgerboard)

In an ideal world, I'd like to attach the deck to the house, but I don't know that it's going to work out like that. The yellow box shows where my existing porch is, and the red box shows where a potential ledgerboard would be. To make it level with the portch, it would straddle the siding and the stone, to make it a good step (6") down, I would have to attach to the stone, but it passes in front of a window where it can't be attached to the house.

Now I'm considering having it free-standing, but butted up to the house or with an inch or so to spare so water isn't trapped anywhere.

This leads to some questions:
    1) There's a concrete slab where those old stairs are leaning against the porch, can I put one of the support posts on that slab instead of digging it out and sinking a footer there?

2) If so, how do I lay this out without a ledgerboard and if I can't hammer a batter board into the ground there?

3) How to get around the gutter drainpipe?

4) If I were to bite the bullet and put a ledgerboard into the stone, what about the section in front of the window?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Default Re: Building Freestanding Deck (Because I'm Afraid of Ledgerboard)

first off i would raise the height of the ledger board to clear the window. no big deal having the deck 1" or 2" below the entry door as opposed to 8".

for the downspout, just remove hte bottom section ,elbow it out 3" then notch the decking for it to go through the deck

as long as the slab is stable you can use a post anchor to anchor the post to the slab
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    first off i would raise the height of the ledger board to clear the window. no big deal having the deck 1" or 2" below the entry door as opposed to 8".

for the downspout, just remove the bottom section ,elbow it out 3" then notch the decking for it to go through the deck

as long as the slab is stable you can use a post anchor to anchor the post to the slab
    Im with JK on blocking the window. Are the stones real or cinder blocks cast to look like stone......Hard to tell...My guess is there cinder block stones. If thats the case it wouldnt take much work to grind the stones flat from the bottom of your ledger board up.

Then you will be able to attach to the "floor sill plate & stone". Drill through the stone and attach the ledger board with Simpson Titen anchors with a two part epoxy. You can attach/anchor to the house sill plate also.

In regards to the window problem you could double up the joist on both sides of the window then toss in a header a couple feet out from the window. This would allow you to install smaller depth joist like 2x4's in that area.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/an...ical/titen-hd/

There are numerous ways to make the deck work depending on how long the deck span is. Heck you could use a heavy duty double in or out flanged joist hanger attached to the stone by the elec meter to carry a grade beam or outside joist. Grind out the area smooth where the hanger will be attached,

http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...RL_MASONRY.asp

Where are the stairs going to be.....not coming down by the electrical meter I hope....That meter wouldnt be a good thing to grab onto on a stormeeee day or not......
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I agree with the above.
    I'd use a ledger and attach it to the sill plate.
    I don't like a post resting on a concrete slab, I want it on an anchor in 24" concrete.
    The downspout can be rerouted as jkirk said.
    You might have to relocate the little box (telephone box ?) so it's not in the way of the ledger.
    Can you upload a side view picture taken from the right side?

My preference is to have all decks be independant of the house as you first described. There are a few reasons;

a- If the deck shifts it doesn't affect the house
    b- if the house shifts it doesn't affect the deck
    c- termited can't span the gap
    d- room for drainage and keep the house from rotting
    e- superior house siding drainage
    f- you can change the deck later without bothering the house.

All posts should be well anchored into the soil as needed for your climate and building code.

Well first off, thanks for all of the replies!

So far I'm still planning to stay independent of the house. If I tie into the sill, I'll block the dryer vent, if I tie into the stone I have to span a window: better to remain independent with a beam and a 1' cantilever.

Below are the plans and a model from Google Sketchup--the deck is a 6" step down from the porch, and it's another 2 steps down to the hot tub deck (so our heads aren't peeking over our neighbors' fence. I haven't worked out the supports for it just yet, but you make a good point about not wanting to sit it on top of the concrete pad. I'll double check with my inspector, but may have to break that up and dig.

Here's the plan as it stands right now:

And here's a view from the back: