+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Water sealing a deck

I have been using Thompson's Weatherproofing on my deck. Is there anything better to seal a wooden deck?

Default Re: Water sealing a deck

The first problem you are going to have is to get rid of the WaterSeal. If water is still beading on the Thompson's, so will any other deck treatment. It will eventually wear off or can be sanded off.

Clear or lightly pigmented stains/sealers give the least protection against the sun's UV rays which are trying to break down the wood fiber. I prefer oil based, lightly pigmented, penetrating stains such as Sikkens. It is a little pricey, but worth the expense.

my first choice would be a product called DEFY then CABOTS you must use a stripper on deck then p/wash all old products off DEFY will last about 5yrs cabots will last from 2 to 4 yrs both are priced in the $35 to $45 range defy has an expoxy in it very durable both come in waterborne use your deck the next day

I am with Ordjen on this one, use oil. My prefered is Armstrong. Do not use a water based stain. I have never used Sikkens, so I can not speak as to how good it is, but my dad swore by it. See beartrackinn.com Water based and/or hybrid oil stains have too many solids in them and will peel after time causing more work to stain the deck the next time around, (sanding). They also dry to fast which increases the chances of lap marks. Follow Ordjens instructions and you will be fine.

I have to agree with Tacoma's assessment of water borne vs. oil products. The oils penetrate better and leave less of a film on the surface.

Of the oils I sell, all come from the factory with pigment already in it. This pigment is ground much finer, allowing it to penetrate better. It also allows more of the grain to show. Sikkens uses iron oxide as one of its main colorants, this because of its ability to block UV rays from the sun.

The water based stains are all tinted with universal colorants from the tinting machines. I personally don't think they are as good as those in factory made stains!

I always tell my customers that an oil stain will never peel on them. The trade-off is that they require an almost yearly cleaning and re-freshing with more stain when used on decks. The water based stains tend to last longer, but when they fail are much more difficult to refresh, often requiring stripping of the deck.

I will admit that these are my own annecdotal observations from years of staining. I can't back it with emperical data, other than that which comes from the testing organizations such as Consumers Reports.

first off both DEFY & CABOTS come tinted from the factory yes you can have custom tints done these waterborne stains are far superior than any oil based stain all they require is a soap & water cleanup in the spring & fall epoxy doesn't peel off have been using these products for 10yrs with not one failure like the seikin rep once told me decks are a money pit yea using ther product at $50 & up cost it should last as long as the waterborne products