+ Reply to Thread

Default water consevation

I live in Boise, ID. This is a high desert region; obviously little snow/rain. Lawns require too much water. I have been trying to kill my lawn. The lawn is being replace with various species of thyme, low water requirement.

I have tried to kill my lawn with name brand grass killers. The grass keeps coming back.

The 2 options I am looking at are copper sulfate and nitrogen rich fertilizer. The copper sulfate will kill the lawn. Then I am left with copper in the soil which is a toxin. Plants that have been genetically modified (GMO) are used to purify soil or water, so the first crop would need to leech copper and sulfides from the soil. A nitrogen rich soil would cause the lawn to grow. By not watering it, the lawn should die of thirst.

There has got to be an easier way. I live in Boise, ID. This is a high desert region; obviously little snow/rain. Lawns require too much water. I have been trying to kill my lawn. The lawn is being replace with various species of thyme, low water requirement.

I have tried to kill my lawn with name brand grass killers. The grass keeps coming back.

The 2 options I am looking at are copper sulfate and nitrogen rich fertilizer. The copper sulfate will kill the lawn. Then I am left with copper in the soil which is a toxin. Plants that have been genetically modified (GMO) are used to purify soil or water, so the first crop would need to leech copper and sulfides from the soil. A nitrogen rich soil would cause the lawn to grow. By not watering it, the lawn should die of thirst.

There has got to be an easier way.

Default Re: water consevation

Howdy consider contacting the county extension agent for help and suggestions. Or a local nursery for ideas and zero scaping with the native plants. I have found that covering the grass with a heavy black plastic kills it could do a plot at a time.. If the college there has a ag department they might be a great source of information too.

Poisoning the soil and contaminating the ground water doesn't seem like a viable option to me. Roundup herbicide will kill almost any growing plant and leaves no residual in the soil. There are other herbicides that may be more viable for your situation such as Post which will kill grass but doesn't bother legumes. As mentioned above check with your county extension office for advice and do it before the budget cuts does away with this valuable source.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Round Up does not break down into the inert substance that Monsanto has claimed. Is it less toxic than other herbicides? Maybe, but it certainly isn't the savior that it's been purported to be. Very little time with our friend Google will substantiate this.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hi there,
    First of all I would like to suggest you to visit a nursery near you to get an appropriate advice for your problem and adding chemicals to the soil to kill the unwanted plants is not a good idea, if available then go for a natural way.

Jamie