+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing old faucet

We have a 100 yr old house and are looking to upgrade the faucet on the bathroom pedestal sink. On the bottom side of each handle is an almost flush nut w/3 'buttons' around the face of them. The nuts are threaded so we were wondering if there is a tool or method of getting these nuts loose. The bathroom itself dates bace to the 1930's per date on the stool tank. Hope this is clear enough.

Default Re: Removing old faucet

Yes, there is a tool. It's called basin wrench. It allows you to reach where access is limited.

My mother has one of these sinks and I had the same problem. dj1 is right the tool I bought was a basin wrench and it worked as advertized. Her house was built in 1927 I believe. Good luck even with the tool it was still a tight squeeze under that sink.

I don't thing there talking about the supply tubes. They are trying to remove the handles on the faucet. Some of the older faucets had nut under the handles that had to be loosened to remove the handles. If they could post a picture it would help.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    I don't thing there talking about the supply tubes. They are trying to remove the handles on the faucet. Some of the older faucets had nut under the handles that had to be loosened to remove the handles. If they could post a picture it would help.

John
    In this case an adjutable wrench (Chanelock) can be used.

often the nuts are rusty and won't budge. I've had to use a recip saw to cut the 2 hot and cold faucet body nipples at the sink to get the faucet out. Caution when you use a power saw around the sink, to avoid damage to the sink.

I must be missing something here. I was under the impression they were trying to remove the handles to repair the faucet. Sorry guys I really misread this post. I must be having a bad day.

John
    Last edited by johnjh2o; 05-18-2012 at 07:49 PM.

If the sink is easy to remove, you'll find the work much easier to do that way as access to everything is greatly improved. It may also give you room to use channel-lock's so you don't have to spring for a basin wrench (though they are cheap enough and good to have)

While things are easy-to-access you might want to also re-putty or replace the strainer and check the trap and it's piping so you don't have to go back to deal with them later. Just be careful with the porcelain and you'll do fine!

Phil