+ Reply to Thread

Question Before serious basement waterproofing...

Hi, I have an 80-year-old house I purchased last year. The basement is half finished and the finished part has a fireplace, tile floor (looks new, probably 2-3 years old) and surrounded with drywall.

There are three area in the basement that gets a little wet when it rains or when the snow melts. One area happens to be finished drywall, and the wall has big watermarks and is breaking down. The unfinished part has blocked wall painted white, and you see the discoloration.

These three area is right under the old drain system that used to be hooked to the gutter downspout, that are not in use currently.

There are several expensive option if I want to fix the problem permanently. Which I am not so sure because I might be moving in the next 5 years. Is there any obvious I can do before the considering more expensive option (digging exterior to seal the cracks, installing drain system in the basement etc).

Am thinking of -
    (1) Extend the gutter downspout (although it is pretty extended now).
    (2) Clay soil around the house to grade
    (3) Water proof coating on the interior wall
    (4) "French drain"

I also saw that grass would prevent water to soak in. Currently the house is surrounded with flower bed - is planting grass help relieve the problem?

Appreciate any advise - thanks!

Default Re: Before serious basement waterproofing...

There are three area in the basement that gets a little wet when it rains or when the snow melts. One area happens to be finished drywall, and the wall has big watermarks and is breaking down
    Probably the first thing you might want to do is tear out all this drywall and possibly framing since it's gotten wet. You will need to investigate if there are any cracks or holes in this area that may be he source of the moisture infiltration that will need repairing.
    Also this give you a chance to dry things out and clean any mold.

These three area is right under the old drain system that used to be hooked to the gutter downspout, that are not in use currently
    Check outside to ensure those are completely sealed .

Is there any obvious I can do before the considering more expensive option (digging exterior to seal the cracks, installing drain system in the basement etc).
    While repairing and water proofing from the exterior is the best method you can ensure the grade around the house runs away from the foundation......As well as the downspouts.

3) Water proof coating on the interior wall
    If you considering the product bought off the shelf to be painted on .... this is not water proofing your walls..... in my opinion this is only a bandaid and a waste of money ... in my opinion.

Unfortunately there is no easy or cheap way of repairing water problems in your basement .... certainly not by a paint on product .... the best way is to do it right.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I am adding another question to this thread ...

Well, I started to think I probably ends up with more expensive options - which is either
    (1) install a drain system (pipe) along the interior wall of the basement that chase the water to sump pump to pump out. (no I don't have either)
    (2) excavate the exterior and seal the wall with some polymeric rubber material.

I found two conflicting opinion on web as to which is the better method. What is disturbing is that the website supporting one method is a provider of that method. So I am confused - I am not excited about either method but do want to pick the right one. The second method is not applicable to one side, because of a big tree. Is this makes the first choice better?

Thank you for the response - I will look into those also.

I am also faced with a similar situation. During rain storms or when snow melts I have water that gets pushed up through the floor in some places as well as water seeping in through the corners where the floor meets the foundation walls.

I have tried everything from fixing the grade of the yard to extending downspouts and ensuring that my gutter system is performing properly. Nothing helped.

I brought in a local foundation expert who recommended installing a drain system around the interior of the foundation. Since I do not have water seeping through the walls themselves I likely do not need to install water proofing around the exterior of the foundation. The problem that I have is a high water table and a sump and drainage system is likely the only fix.

I suggest calling in a local foundation expert and have them recommend the best solution for you - if you haven't done so already.

Best of luck!