+ Reply to Thread

Default Well water problems

We moved into a country house with a well last summer. The water had a strong sulfur smell and our hands felt sticky after washing, but there were no major problems. It seemed sudden - in December our skin became sticky (literally) and greasy and our hair became dry and unmanageable (although greasy-looking). It didn't matter what kind of soap or shampoo was used. We got a top-of-the-line water softener in March, but there have been no real changes. The water mainly has a metallic/acidic smell and sometimes a sulfur smell. It is like the water has lost its "rinsing" property - it doesn't clean anymore. The water softener company has been out twice and assured us that it is working properly and the water is soft. Could the problem be caused by bacteria in the well? The hot water tank is 8 years old - could there be a build-up inside? Any help or advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Default Re: Well water problems

why don't you take a sample of the water from the faucet and have it tested. they could probably tell you what's in it and then you can take the proper filtration steps to rectify the problem.

A water softener only removes minerals, it does not remove odor, particulate, or other critters, for that you need a filtration and sanitation system such as UV or ozone.

Have your water independently tested both pre and post softener to see what you need to do to correct the situation.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Iron bacteria often produce unpleasant tastes and odors commonly reported as: "swampy," "oily or petroleum," "cucumber," "sewage," "rotten vegetation," or "musty."

http://www.awlab.com/index_files/Why...ater_smell.htm

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/e...nbacteria.html

I agree have the water tested
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Sounds like a contaminated well. Had the same problem at my folks old house. Water smelled and was slimy. Only solution was to sink a new well. Once that was done I had to install a demineralization unit to get the rust out and make it usable.
    Sometimes you have to bite the bullet. ($$$)

Quote Originally Posted by bubba88 View Post
    Sounds like a contaminated well. Had the same problem at my folks old house. Water smelled and was slimy. Only solution was to sink a new well. Once that was done I had to install a demineralization unit to get the rust out and make it usable.
    Sometimes you have to bite the bullet. ($$$)
    Sounds like bad news to me...