+ Reply to Thread

Default Proper use of Landscape fabric in garden retaining wall

I have built a 7 foot round, 16 inch high (above the groud) garden wall using the 4X8 arched bricks. I have been getting conflicting information about the use of landscaping fabric.

I have a Japanese Maple that will be going in this area. The dirt level for the tree will be higher than the ground. Do I use landscaping fabric to line the inside of the wall up to the top brick so that the dirt doesnt leach out if it is raining. Basically I am looking for the proper way to do this.

Smile Re: Proper use of Landscape fabric in garden retaining wall

It really isn't necessary to line it with anything, actually soil won't bleed thru the bricks with the tree's root system to hold it and it needs to be able to drain after a hard rain. Landscape fabric is meant only as a weed deterrent. It's used as the base layed over the dirt that's dug out to install a path or placed around plants then mulch added to keep weeds down and moisture in. Then some weeds are stubborn lil' suckers and push thru the fabric. Hope that helps.

Default Re: Proper use of Landscape fabric in garden retaining wall

The crushed gravel must be filled in (6-8" thick) behind the wall as well and the tile should be placed behind and at the bottom of the wall. Landscape fabric should extend from below the tile & gravel and up behind the gravel and then over the top of the gravel to meet the top backside of the wall. This will prevent infiltration of the soil into your gravel backfill. The backfill may stop 4-8" from the top of the wall and topsoil may be filled in to plant grass on. The drain tile should terminate as far away from the wall as possible depending on your setup.

The goal in all of this is to prevent a buildup of moisture behind the wall which will create hydrostatic pressure. When this occurs the wall will inevitably fail by tipping over(most common) or sliding out at the base.

nachi.org/forum/f16/advice-regarding-structure-small-retaining-wall-72055/

Default Re: Proper use of Landscape fabric in garden retaining wall

What Dasp said.