+ Reply to Thread

Default Interior door style and brand

Our architect specified Simpson or equivalent solid core MDF doors. Our house is a rambling cape that we are completely remodeling. We have hardie shingle on the front, smooth hardiplank elsewhere, six doghouse dormers across the front, a cedar roof, you get the idea. Inside we are somewhat traditional, but not a slave to colonial. Not rustic, but maybe "high country" would be a good descriptor. We decorate with antiques, flea market finds, oil paintings, and a bit of folk art.

I am trying to decide between raised four panel (close to equal size panels, not craftsman style) doors and flat four panel with ovolo sticking. I even like plank doors for the upstairs bedrooms, but my husband not so much. I am leaning away from six panel, just because I am a little sick of them! The house is by no means a reproduction, but I have lived in a lot of old houses and am familiar with various styles, but my memory is not serving me so well.

If anyone cares to opine about which style of doors looks best, and what brands are considered equivalent to Simpson, I'm all ears.

Any knowledge on what number & style of panels goes with what era of architecture would also be appreciated.

Default Re: Interior door style and brand

when it comes to interior doors there are many brands and styles to choose from.. ive installed well over 1000 doors. some brands are better than others.

most brands all make several styles all of the different companies make the same styles but have very small details that seperate one from the other.. the raised panel may have a ogee profile on it with one company where another may have a simply cove provile into it. you mentioned you dont like 6 panel doors, do you mean the 3 sets of 2 vertical panels or 6 horizontal panels.. (hope this makes sense).. the 2nd style is more common to older homes, the first style mentioned is extremely common in new construction for cookie cutter homes
    fire up the saw and make some dust