+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fernco Fitting

Default Re: Fernco Fitting

Spruce, can you upload a photo?

Unfortunately, no. I might be able to get her to take a pic with her phone and send it to me, but don't count on it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I'll tell you why: I want to see if by cutting the drywall around the drain and removing the flange we can create some space.

There is no reason you can't use a fernco. But if you would prefer not to there is a tool that will remove the pipe from the fitting and allow you to glue a short piece of pipe and a trap adapter into it.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CK0BEPICMAA

John

Dang it! If I were still in the trades I'd get that tool! Any job worth doing is a job worth buying a new tool for, right?

I'll go with the Fernco and be done with it. I will also try to get a pic or two when I do the work.

Thank you both for your assistance.

One last question, rubber only Ferncos are for everything but cast iron, which needs the metal sheath over the rubber fitting, correct? I have not used enough of them to remember.

Dj - Part of the reason of using the Fernco was to minimize the job cost while still having the job done correctly. You are just trying to make this more difficult than it has to be!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Rubber only frenco is good for ABS or PVC.

DONE!!

Now you probably want me to buy you a beer or something. I would, but I don't have the proper hammer.

Just put on my tab, Spruce.

I wasn't able to take pics when I cut the drain and installed the Fernco. All there was to work with was a stub from the wall with a strange fitting that was basically an extension (flanged one end, pipe size on the other ) that immediately went into the trap. As was mentioned before, everything from the wall to the nut at the sink tail piece was glued and there was no pipe available to cut/splice a new trap onto.

There was about 1/4" between the extension piece and the trap elbow where I cut the pipe to install the Fernco. There was no rubber only Fernco that would fit a 1-1/2" flange, so I went with the corrugated aluminum shielded Ferco which was a perfect fit.

Cut the pipe, cleaned the trap (no earring, btw ), and installed the Fernco without a hitch. At least now we can access the trap whenever necessary.

Thank you John and DJ for the assist.