+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fernco Fitting

Default Fernco Fitting

I need a little insight from the plumbing gurus, here's the story.

A friend calls that she may have dropped an earring down the vanity drain. I go over to take off the trap and the MORON that installed it used an entirely glued trap, which means that not one piece of the drain can be disassembled, not even the drop tube from the sink itself.

The question is, would it be permissible to cut the ABS at one of the joints and then use a Fernco to put it back together? As is typical with glued ABS drains, there are no sections of pipe that would allow a cut and repair with a coupler.

What would you do in this situation?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Fernco Fitting

I would cut the trap off and replace it with a plastic slip joint trap. I'm assuming you have ABS coming out of the wall. Cut the ABS at the wall and glue on a chase fitting.

John

I see her problem and it's not that unusual. The plumber probably used the only thing he had on his truck that day...

I'd replace the trap and the drain assembly.

From the trap to the wall, there is an 1-1/2" arm. Cut it in the middle. Cut the drain from the sink down and remove the flange.

Now look for the earring.

Whether you find it or not, you have to install a new drain, a new trap, an 1-1/2" coupling, a piece of 1-1/2 ABS pipe cut to size and an 1-1/2" male adaptor where you connect the trap. Choose a trap that goes from 1-1/4" on the sink side to 1-1/2" on the other side.

The horizontal order is as follows:

wall-arm-coupling-new piece of ABS-adaptor-trap

I hope you have space to work down there.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    I would cut the trap off and replace it with a plastic slip joint trap. I'm assuming you have ABS coming out of the wall. Cut the ABS at the wall and glue on a chase fitting.

John
    I've not seen a chase fitting, what is that, and is it a plumbing supply or well stocked hardware item? (this homey don't do the depot! )

Dj, slip joints are all I install, or at least a removable trap. ABS doesn't bother me as a general rule, it's glued traps in particular that send me over the edge because obviously, you never ever need to have access to a drain. (that was sarcasm if you missed it. )

Same bathroom just last Saturday I was replacing the toilet wax ring because the toilet was loose and found the worst mess I've ever seen:
    1 - Flange was 1/2" below floor surface.
    2 - Flange (ABS ) was broken at bolt holes
    3 - Cheapy repair flange was screwed at front and back with drywall screws that were well rusted rather than at the sides where the bolts attached. When the bolts were tightened, the cheapy flange was drawn up to the bottom of the toilet without the toilet being snug to the floor.
    4 - A wax ring and a whole container of plumbers putty was used to try to seal the toilet to the effed-up flange
    5 - Beutyl caulk was liberally applied around the perimeter of the toilet base to seal it to the floor and keep it from rocking.

And we wonder why the toilet was leaking ... Not sure if the same guy did the vanity drain too, probably.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 05-14-2012 at 02:26 PM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Sorry Spruce that's a old term. You may know it as a trap adapter.

John

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Tra...PA6?Pid=search

Sorry Spruce that's a old term. You may know it as a trap adapter.

John

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Tra...PA6?Pid=search

Ok, yes, I am familiar with those, and they work great when you're working from bare pipe. What do you do when you've got fitting flanges in the way and no place to get to bare pipe? That's why I was wondering about using a Fernco, while not my first choice, it would certainly save a total reconstruction of the pipe within the wall just to get a serviceable trap.

The problem you may have is finding one that will fit over a hub locally. You may be able to order one.

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexi...cket-couplings

John

Spruce,

Here's the solution if you don't want to replace the existing trap:

1. Cut the ABS arm (1-1/2" line) from the wall to the trap. Later you will put a coupling there.
    2. Cut the drain down from the sink (1-1/4" drain).
    3. take the trap out and get the earring.
    4. to reassemble: you'll need an 1-1/2" ABS coupling and an extension tube w/nut 1-1/4"x6".
    5. Using ABS black cement, glue the coupling to the wall drain piece.
    6. Using the extention tube w/nut install the trap to the drain from the sink. Don't tighten.
    7. Now rotate the trap to where in aligns with the coupling. You may need to trim a little so it fits into the coupling.
    8. When you're happy with the trap location, glue the trap arm into the coupling and tighten the extention nut.

No frenco or other no hub coupling needed. 2 parts plus a little glue is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Spruce,

Here's the solution if you don't want to replace the existing trap:

1. Cut the ABS arm (1-1/2" line) from the wall to the trap. Later you will put a coupling there.
    2. Cut the drain down from the sink (1-1/4" drain).
    3. take the trap out and get the earring.
    4. to reassemble: you'll need an 1-1/2" ABS coupling and an extension tube w/nut 1-1/4"x6".
    5. Using ABS black cement, glue the coupling to the wall drain piece.
    6. Using the extention tube w/nut install the trap to the drain from the sink. Don't tighten.
    7. Now rotate the trap to where in aligns with the coupling. You may need to trim a little so it fits into the coupling.
    8. When you're happy with the trap location, glue the trap arm into the coupling and tighten the extention nut.

No frenco or other no hub coupling needed. 2 parts plus a little glue is all you need.
    I think what he is saying there is not enough pipe to put a coupling on without going into the wall.

John

The problem you may have is finding one that will fit over a hub locally. You may be able to order one.

John
    My major concern with this route is that it wouldn't be up to code/permissible to do. If you're saying that a Fernco is allowable, then that is the route I'll take. I live in a pretty large metro area with access to both a well stocked hardware store and many plumbing suppliers, so finding a hub to hub Fernco shouldn't be a problem.

Dj - That is exactly my problem, there is no bare pipe, it's all fittings butted against each other, otherwise I wouldn't be asking all these silly questions about a Fernco.