+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chipmunks

Cool Chipmunks

How do I get rid of my bother-sum little friends ?

Default Re: Chipmunks

While shot guns and golf clubs are appealing, the best way is to remove their food source. They eat soil insects. 2 or 3 applications of a decent lawn insecticide will have the little guys looking for greener pastures. Be sure to treat an area larger than the problem area, so they don't migrate to a new spot for you. If you like your neighbors, have them treat their lawns at the same time.
    Last edited by HoustonRemodeler; 05-14-2012 at 09:11 AM.

...And if they ignore your eviction notice...award them with plenty of bait.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    While shot guns and golf clubs are appealing, the best way is to remove their food source. They eat soil insects. 2 or 3 applications of a decent lawn insecticide will have the little guys looking for greener pastures. Be sure to treat an area larger than the problem area, so they don't migrate to a new spot for you. If you like your neighbors, have them treat their lawns at the same time.
    I believe you are thinking of moles.
    Chipmunks eat seeds as well as a bunch of other things.Cats can help, pellet or bb guns if you have the patience or maybe trap them.

You're right, I was thinking of moles.

1- Sparsely fed cats with claws
    2- Jack Russell Terriers (properly fed or not)
    3- Lead poisoning
    4- Humane traps followed by "a ride to the country"

A Daisy Red Rider BB gun, but watch out, "you will shoot your eye out"!

Hmmm Bill Murray comes to mind.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lYm0c7gYyU
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Exactly how are the little critters bothersome? The trick may not be to get rid of them but just to keep them from being a bother.

If they are getting into your house, then make sure that you don't have tree branches touching your house or overhanging the roof. An outdoor cat, well fed or not will keep the chipmunks off the ground. As long as they stay in the trees, they should be nothing more to you than a cute yard ornament.

Smile Re: Chipmunks

I'm not a FEMA advocate but Y do you want to get rid of them? I grew up in the country and we use to feed them. Even had a few as pets like a gerbil when my dad accidently dug up a family of babies in the process of building a brick retaining wall. They keep the yard clean of too many acorns and are nature's clowns, hilarious to watch chasing each other! Yeah, a cat would definitely keep the brood down. Just be prepared that your lil' feline will probably proudly bring you a nice present of a freshly dead critter laid at your feet! Mine always did.

I do not like chipmunks either. When I had an outdoor stray female (spayed) cat she kept the chipmunk population down. She even put a dead chipmunk in her food dish for me. Well stray cats come and go.
    I ordered a Rat Zapper off Amazon. They work great. I have both sizes but the bigger one works better for chipmunks. I zapped 4 in one day. Go to Amazon and order a Rat Zapper. Kaydance