+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Missing Roof Vent

I purchased a new home in FL built in 2008 (I am the original owner). The house has a bedroom off the front that has it's own roof, attached to the main house, of course, but since the room "sticks out" from the house (3 exterior walls), it has it's own gable roof. The room is approx. 110 sq ft.

The problem is that I just noticed recently that the roof over this room has no vent, whereas the main attic has several "turtle vents" in the roof. All attic space has continuous soffit venting.

The thing I also recently noticed is that the same model house down the street has a vent on the front bedroom roof. Additionally, I've been in the main house attic and the main attic space is separated from the front bedroom attic space by plywood that runs vertically along the trusses, so air above that front bedroom can't even vent out into the main attic space.

The problem now is that the house is almost 4 years old. I have a warranty, but I believe the 10 year part of the warranty is just for structural defects. This appears to be a workmanship issue -- they forgot to install a vent. But with the closed-in attic space, I fear that room's roof will fail prematurely due to lack of ventilation.

Is this something I should still be able to pursue under my new home warranty or is it likely too late?

Thanks!

Default Re: Missing Roof Vent

Since you have continuous soffit venting, the ideal solution is to;

1- buy matching ridge cap shingles.
    2- remove the ridge cap shingles
    3- check first to make sure the is or isn't a gap in the plywood at the ridge. If there is one - cut the roofing felt away to reveal the gap. If there isn't one then
    4- Take a circular saw set to the depth of the plywood and saw away a 2" strip of plywood from each side of the ridge, stopping a foot or so from the edges.
    5- Intall your new ridge venting under your new ridge cap shingles.
    6- Stand back and admire your work.
    7- Look at the rest of the roof ridges from the underside to check for ridge venting.

Just cut a new turtle vent it....Its pretty easy to do...
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Before you start spending money, find out from the builder what he is willing to do, but:

You have to make sure that ALL same model homes in the area have vents that came with the homes, not added on.

With this information in hand, contact the builder. If he ignores you, doesn't return calls or refuses, go to small claim court. You'll probably win, if the vent is in the house plans.

If you don't want the hassle, just install one of the suggested vents above and move on.