+ Reply to Thread

Default sink water odor in bathroom

I have a foul (sewer?) odor coming from sink water. No other water faucets have this problem. I've tried all solutions with baking soda, clorox, Drano etc. I saw a This Old House episode where the problem lay with the tub faucet. or some valve within the workings of that faucet in the shower. Any ne remember this? And how is it solved?

Default Re: sink water odor in bathroom

Are you sure the odor is coming from the water and not from the sink or it's drain? If it's from the water it would be the same at all your faucets.

John

It's very odd, but the odor only develops when we turn on the sink water, no where else in the house, and, most odd, only when the water is running. This Old House had an episode on this exact problem about a year or so ago (may have been a repeat), but I can't find any info on it. And plumbers around here think I'm crazy.

Try this:

Disconnect the sink trap and examine it and the rest of the drain. If you need, clean it or replace it.

See if this works.

The odor may be coming from the overflow on the sink. Try pouring bleach directly into the overflow.

John