+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What type of nails we should use? to complete storage shed..

We finished floor and sub floor and now

Please tell us nails we should use on wall frame as well as on roll roofing.
    I have been told 16d common for wall framing ...correct me if am wrong...

Two of the four walls will have dimensional lumber 2x4 at 16" center
    and other two will have pressure treated 2x6 again 16" center ..so advice accordingly.
    also what type of nails to be used when we put t1-11?

Default Re: What type of nails we should use? to complete storage shed..

Framing is typically done with a 16 penny vinyl coated nail, aka 16d GVS (Green Vinyl Sinker ). Siding is typically done with an 8d galvanized nail. Rolled roofing is nailed with a galvanized roofing nail of sufficient length to penetrate all layers of roofing AND the thickness of the sheathing.

Question, why the pressure treated lumber in the framing? Will you also be using pressure treated plywood and is the floor also made from masonry or pressure treated materials?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Framing is typically done with a 16 penny vinyl coated nail, aka 16d GVS (Green Vinyl Sinker ).

Question, why the pressure treated lumber in the framing? Will you also be using pressure treated plywood and is the floor also made from masonry or pressure treated materials?
    Spruceeeeee you didnt mention using Hot Dipped GALVANIZED or STAINLESS STEEL nails or any other type of fastener used to anchor Pressure treaded woods.Pressure treated wood has "Alkaline Copper Quaternary " ( ACQ-C ) in it the copper eats through standard nails/anchors.

Georgia Pacific rolled out new pressure treated woods called EcoLife thats not supposed to eat through any type of fasteners. Lets see how long it takes before GP comes back and says there are health hazards with this new products.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Question Re: What type of nails we should use? to complete storage shed..

Framing is typically done with a 16 penny vinyl coated nail, aka 16d GVS (Green Vinyl Sinker ). Siding is typically done with an 8d galvanized nail. Rolled roofing is nailed with a galvanized roofing nail of sufficient length to penetrate all layers of roofing AND the thickness of the sheathing.

SO we can't use 16d hot dipped galvanized nails which are meant for treated wood....? do we have to use 16d gvs only?

the only reason why we are using pt lumber on 2 walls of framing is we have some pt lumber laying around extra from previous job.

but plywood for floor not pressure treated...its cdx exterior or something 3/4 thickness.

on the roof we will be using osb of 7/16 thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Spruceeeeee you didnt mention using Hot Dipped GALVANIZED or STAINLESS STEEL nails or any other type of fastener used to anchor Pressure treaded woods.Pressure treated wood has "Alkaline Copper Quaternary " ( ACQ-C ) in it the copper eats through standard nails/anchors.
    If I had, then you wouldn't have been able to post too!

I was giving the "typical" fasteners used. I was unsure as to why the PT was being used and was waiting for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by vikasintl View Post
    SO we can't use 16d hot dipped galvanized nails which are meant for treated wood....? do we have to use 16d gvs only?

the only reason why we are using pt lumber on 2 walls of framing is we have some pt lumber laying around extra from previous job.

but plywood for floor not pressure treated...its cdx exterior or something 3/4 thickness.

on the roof we will be using osb of 7/16 thickness.
    I would use Gizmo's advice for working with the pressure treated material. Galvies will work for all the framing needs.

I would recommend staying away from OSB completely and opt for plywood instead, it's a better product.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Question Re: What type of nails we should use? to complete storage shed..

If I had, then you wouldn't have been able to post too!

I was giving the "typical" fasteners used. I was unsure as to why the PT was being used and was waiting for more info.

I would use Gizmo's advice for working with the pressure treated material. Galvies will work for all the framing needs.

I would recommend staying away from OSB completely and opt for plywood instead, it's a better product.
    Ok so should I understand that for pressure treated studs we should use galvanized 16d spiral nails and for non pressure treated studs (other two walls) we should use 16d vinyl coated spirals?

No need for spiral or ring shank nails, just galvie for the pressure treated lumber and GVS for the plain lumber. You could use galvie for everything, they're just a little harder to drive than a GVS. Not a big deal.

Yep Spruce I agree those Galveeee nails can be a real pain driving them especially if there double hot dippeed....ugggg...
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Predrilling the plates will make driving glavie nails a whole lot easier if you're having trouble with them.

About OSB: I much rather work with plywood, which is not that much more expensive but much better quality. Plywood has been one of the greatest invention in the construction industry.