+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What type of nails we should use? to complete storage shed..

If there's going to be a floor that sits close to the ground the moisture under it will break the OSB down pretty fast
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Question Re: What type of nails we should use? to complete storage shed..

Now I have question for sheathing etc.

1. When we put plywood or osb(we are not sure what we will use?)
    on roof rafter..what nails we should use ...should we use 8d vinyl coated or cement coated sinkers or just 8d bright common ?

2. What size and type of nails we should use when we put felt paper and roll roofing over this low slope flat roof?

3. we are putting t1-11 for siding what type of nails we should use for this?
    we were told galvanized 8d spirals or ring shank is that correct? or we should use 8d vinyl coated sinkers?

on roof rafter..what nails we should use ...should we use 8d vinyl coated or cement coated sinkers or just 8d bright common ?
    Vinyl will suffice and be the easiest to drive.

2. What size and type of nails we should use when we put felt paper and roll roofing over this low slope flat roof?
    Felt is stapled with a T-50 style staple. Most roofers use a hammer tacker to install felt. Roofing nails will be hot dipped galvanized roofing nails that are long enough to penetrate all layers of roofing and the thickness of the sheathing. The nails don't have to protrude from the sheathing, but they need to be full depth.
    we were told galvanized 8d spirals or ring shank is that correct? or we should use 8d vinyl coated sinkers?
    I don't recommend ring/spiral shank nails for anything but subfloor. A standard hot dipped galvanized nail will suffice.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Vinyl will suffice and be the easiest to drive.

Felt is stapled with a T-50 style staple. Most roofers use a hammer tacker to install felt. Roofing nails will be hot dipped galvanized roofing nails that are long enough to penetrate all layers of roofing and the thickness of the sheathing. The nails don't have to protrude from the sheathing, but they need to be full depth.
    I don't recommend ring/spiral shank nails for anything but subfloor. A standard hot dipped galvanized nail will suffice.
    so, to put plywood on rafters we should use 8d vinyl sinkers or common?
    and someone said if you use standard nail it will come out over a time...is that true?

The only difference between a GVS and a common is that one is a vinyl coated nail, the other isn't. The benefit to the coated nail is that it drives faster and easier because the vinyl melts with the heat of friction as it is driven in, lubricating as it goes. Once set, the vinyl acts like a glue to help hold the nail.

There are a lot of factors that can cause a nail to loosen over time, it can even happen with ring/twist type nails. Homes have been built using primarily GVS nails for more than a few years now and there is little to no issues with loosening nails. Same for galvie and other coated nails.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The only difference between a GVS and a common is that one is a vinyl coated nail, the other isn't. The benefit to the coated nail is that it drives faster and easier because the vinyl melts with the heat of friction as it is driven in, lubricating as it goes. Once set, the vinyl acts like a glue to help hold the nail.

There are a lot of factors that can cause a nail to loosen over time, it can even happen with ring/twist type nails. Homes have been built using primarily GVS nails for more than a few years now and there is little to no issues with loosening nails. Same for galvie and other coated nails.

SO should I conclude that for both plywood (or osb) on roof required nails is 8d vinyl coated sinker Please confirm size should be 8d or should we use 16d?

and for t1-11 siding as exterior what is the choice? galvanized 8d or different size like 16d? and you mentioned hot dipped galvanized.....I found just galvanized( it does not say hot dipped) 8d for very cheap ...so is it ok if its not hot dipped galvanized?

Quote Originally Posted by vikasintl View Post
    SO should I conclude that for both plywood (or osb) on roof required nails is 8d vinyl coated sinker Please confirm size should be 8d or should we use 16d?

and for t1-11 siding as exterior what is the choice? galvanized 8d or different size like 16d? and you mentioned hot dipped galvanized.....I found just galvanized( it does not say hot dipped) 8d for very cheap ...so is it ok if its not hot dipped galvanized?
    The galvanizing process doesn't matter, as long as it's galvanized it will be fine. Typically, hot dipped nails are cheaper that electrostatically coated nails.

The galvanizing process doesn't matter, as long as it's galvanized it will be fine. Typically, hot dipped nails are cheaper that electrostatically coated nails.
    Thanks I can also use galvanized 8d on roof correct? not necessarily it has to be 8d vinyl coated? that way I have to buy only one type of nails for both on roof as well as siding..

That is correct.

Thumbs up Re: What type of nails we should use? to complete storage shed..

That is correct.
    Thanks a lot...