I live in a Victorian house built somewhere between 1880 and 1900. The actual date is still being researched. It is a "Grant Woods" type farmhouse, likely a "pattern book" house that is balloon-framed, with board and batten siding. It was updated around 1980, with urethane foam insulation which required numerous 2" round holes to be drilled through the exterior siding to inject the foam. The house is pock-marked with the round holes all over, some of which are missing altogether. The construction, as near as I can tell, is of tall outer boards going from basement to attic, covered at each join with a strip of wood the same length. Under the outer shell is about a 3" gap now filled with the foam insulation, sandwiched with an inner sheathing that mimics the outer, the inner walls then finished with horizontal beadboard. The interior walls were covered with drywall in the 1980 renovation.

We are currently renting this house, but have an agreement with the owners to eventually buy it. The owners are bent on "improving" the house before an appraisal.

The current owners are hell-bent on repainting the house and prepping it with a strong power wash. I am convinced that this would be ruinous. Water would be forced between the wood siding and under the "battens" which cover the joins, soak the interior sheething and modern insulation causing wood rot and mold growth, and basically destroy the house from the inside out. My landlord thinks I'm a silly woman who doesn't understand "man stuff."

I love this house whether I am ever the legal owner or not. What's best to do?